More than one island design query

czecheartNovember 13, 2012

With everyone wanting to open up their kitchens by recreating and recycling adjoining spaces I'm sure I am not the first one with this question...if designing a kitchen with more than one island, how important is it that the islands line up with each other? How does one go about centering them? I'm trying to redesign a new kitchen space so to accomodate two islands, a Prep island and a Serving/buffet island. It is an L shaped kitchen.

The Prep island would be centered between the cabinets/counter and the opposite wall having no counter or cabinets.

Extending beyond that area, I would hope to have a Serving/buffet island, ( no counters or cabinets ), but the basement door wall (not movable) juts into the space so the Serving/buffet island will be placed staggered over from the Prep island.

Each would be 42" by 60".

Basically are there rules on how they should be aligned with the room and/or each other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gayl

Well, I was hoping you would get some responses by now. We also have 2 islands and love the design. Like yours, one is a prep island, and the other a saving/buffet island. They are not exactly the same size....the buffet island is a barrier between the kitchen and the great room. It is a bit smaller than the prep island. They line up on one side, but not on the other. Also, the prep island is a rectangle, but the serving island is curved on the outside, so they are different in appearances. It looks good this way and is cohesive.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 1:06AM
czecheart

Thanks for your answer ! I'd love to see your islands. Your situation sounds like mine. The serving island would be between the kitchen and great room/family room. Planning on converting that room to a dining/family area, farmhouse seating along fireplace. All these rooms tend to be on the long and narrow side.

Your situation is similiar also because only one side of the islands would line up. I read your response to my DH and he like your idea of curving the corners on the buffet island. I'll try putting that design on paper. Great, thanks again.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:18PM
laughablemoments

You could look on Houzz for double island kitchens. Here's a kitchen that has 2 very different, but lovely islands and a description of how they're used.

Here is a link that might be useful: bjwright1's kitchen w/ 2 islands

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™