Kitchen granite/fireplace surround HELP please!

belladomNovember 2, 2012

I have a small house with an open floor plan and the stone walkway, kitchen granite and tile and cabinets and fireplace can all be seen from several angles. I can't decide on a cast stone type of fireplace surround, or tile, or just leave it alone.

Any recommendations are very much welcome!

Here's the fireplace, center back:

Here's my house:

More you can see the busy granite:

Here's the walkway:

Here are 2 cast stone type mantles that can come in white, travertine or limestone:

Bordeaux:

The Clarissa:

And, an example of a stone firelace:

Thanks very much!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annsch

I think the bordeaux would look great with all your elements.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 7:12PM
marti8a

I like the Bordeaux too.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 7:26PM
belladom

Wow... thanks for answering... I like the Bordeaux too. I forgot to mention it sticks out 10" at the top and tapers to about 4" at the bottom... Do you think I have room for 10" depth in my 12' x12' room that opens out but is still small????

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:08PM
cloud_swift

I can't tell from the pictures how much of the black fireplace front is something that can be covered and how much is opening or vents. The windows are pretty close on either side - how much room do you have for the surround? It seems like one might overlap the windows - if the legs fit, there still is where something like where the Bordeaux flares out wider for the mantle.

We did a very simple surround by facing it with remnants from our kitchen quartzite. We felt that the stone at the side had to cover at least 6" to not look too skimpy with the fireplace front. I think we ended up making it around 8".

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:18PM
belladom

Actually the bordeaux legs don't flare out more than the mantle and it would fit; these 2 are the only ones that fit from the company though it would be tight as the windows are close. I would like to do the kitchen leftover granite but the granite is too busy for me to live with so I'm looking for something more simple. And this is taking me way too long. The outside of the house is also a contemporary Craftsman type with a lot of straight lines so I'm wondering if that matters. But the kitchen cabinets have some curves. Help1!

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 11:04AM
EATREALFOOD

Bordeaux is my vote too.(even though usually I would prefer stone)

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:50PM
enduring

I like the concrete one too. Could you pull in your granite for the floor piece that is typically done with brick?

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™