Limestone backsplash should I?

cmm1November 1, 2012

Still trying to decide on a backsplash. Really liked a tumbled mystic green limestone at tile store. It will be not be around the cooktop as it is on a separate island. I don't know anything about the durability of this stone. It will be sealed.

Has anyone used this or have information ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berardmr

You should get what makes you happy. In choosing try to picture it with your other choices to make sure they all work together. When I read that you're considering a limestone BS, I immediately thought of a
very traditional kitchen.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 5:43PM
rhome410

I wouldn't use it for countertop (porous and soft), but since it's vertical where it doesn't get wear, and especially since it's not in the major staining area behind the stove, I think it could be a decent option. You should be able to seal it to protect from water and other splashes for occasional cleaning.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:42PM
jenny_from_the_block

I think it would be fine for a backsplash. I have honed limestone floor tiles in my master bath, and rustic French limestone floor tile in my kitchen. Both have been sealed with a good sealer and I don't have any issues with stains as of yet.

My kitchen counter tops are carrara marble (similar to limestone) and I don't have any staining on them either, and just a little etching here and there but it is not really noticeable.

I have seen limestone in magazines for counters and I think it would be fine there too, as long as you are okay with patina.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™