Soft close hinges going to damage my cabs?

stayghostNovember 12, 2012

Thought you guys might be able to help with this.

I got soft close hinges with me cabs, which are great I guess... but what I noticed is the slow close spring mechanism also has the opposite effect ... when I try to open the cabs slightly; the spring mechanism pushes the door outwards to full open.

I have an "L" shaped kitchen so the corner has cabinets 90 degrees to each other. When I open the cabs, the doors want to full open and knock the "pulls" into the other cabinet face. Also hits on the cabinets adjacent to the range hood.

For right now I'm just trying to be slow / super ginger with it; but obviously long term this is a pain in the you know what. I would have been better off with just normal hinges?

I wonder if there is a way to adjust these so they dont spring outward as much? Should I replace them? Maybe I'm paranoid?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

On the BLUM hinges there is a little bar with a grey tab on it in the cup of the hinge, by pushing it you can change the strength of the spring.
There is also a tiny tab beside the bar ( separate from it ) that turns off the soft closing altogether.
Do you have any of these features on your hinge?

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

maybe? here's a pic of it

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's not the soft-close feature that pushes the door open; that's just how those hinges are. IOW, if you disable soft close, the doors will still tend to swing open that far.

If you have Blum hinges, you can get a special "angle restriction clip" for a few pennies - that will limit the swing to 86 degrees. If not, you could install a small stay at the top of the door to limit the opening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blum angle restriction clip

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I dont use Compact 33s but see that grey tab towards the front of the cup?
Try and move it the opposite direction.

Peter is correct the hinges should have been restricted.

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

thanks, super helpful - I wonder if any angle restriction clips exist for other brand hinges?

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That is a Blum hinge, the style is called Compact 33

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 4:46PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
Sponsored Products
Set of 6 Large Rose Floral Lamp Shades 5x5x4.5 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
71" Oval Stone Mosaic Patio Marble Emperador Dining Table - OVALI
Absorb Coffee Table in Black
$289.00 | LexMod
Safavieh Mid-Century Double Gourd Glass Table Lamp in Orange Set of 2
Warli | Weave Rug
Neutral White 5050 LED Super Flat Rope, 60/m, White Finish, Meter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™