7 ft island, 17" stools

rebecca3142November 6, 2013

Do you think 4 stools in a row could be comfortable? Not planning of having long meals there.

Also, I can't sit in these seats but I love the look. I was thinking a stool with a back would be more comfortable. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The stools may be on the smaller size, but the same sized people will still occupy them! 24" is the minimum for adults to be comfy, and for most that don't like being crowded, 30" feels much better.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:47PM
rebecca3142

Ah, yes....I suppose sitting comfort is important. ;)

Sounds like three wider stools would be better. Hard for me to give up the extra seating, but I would be more upset if no one wanted to sit because they felt like sardines!

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:22PM
cookncarpenter

Yes, you need to think about counter space as well as seating space. We have a 5 ft. counter with two stools, and it is quite comfortable. I would think 7 ft. would be more suitable for three than four.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:33PM
emilymch

In a previous home, we had a 6' island with three stools. It worked, but we could have used a bit more room. Another foot would not have been enough to add a fourth person to the row.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:54PM
ppbenn

Rebecca where are the stools from?
I am planning a 7' island too and will have 3 stools but optional wrap around place on each side with room for only an 18" wide stool . These would be perfect. TIA

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 10:08AM
rebecca3142

Thanks for the input everyone! Confession....my architect even drew in three stools, but I thought I could outsmart the island by getting 4 smaller ones. Wishful thinking!

@ppbenn The stools are from Restoration Hardware. They are on sale right now. Just a warning, they charge a $149 flat rate for all furniture shipments.

This post was edited by rebecca3142 on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 10:52

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 10:49AM
sjhockeyfan325

Just a warning, they charge a $149 flat rate for all furniture shipments.

Just to clarify, it's $149 total for everything you purchase in one order (we're about to order a table, but waiting to see if we want anything else before we place the order).

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™