OT: Cleaning After Construction

jmcgowanNovember 2, 2012

For those of you who have finished up with your construction -- did your builder/GC hire a professional cleaning crew or did you clean yourself (or have your own cleaning person help)?

Any benefits to having the builder get in a professional crew? Personally, I feel like I will want to clean after a crew, so I'm thinking why pay so much money for this...but maybe I'm missing something? We are on Time & Material with our GC.

Also, any advice on cleaning painted walls? How did you do this without marking up the paint?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers! My savior. The cleaning crew consisted of DH and myself. We have been in the new house 2 months and the dust is crazy! I am cheap and have not hired anyone - yet. DH wants me to because in our "downsize" there is much more livable space. What was I thinking?!?!?!

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 4:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drbeanie2000

Our GC hired a professional cleaning crew, one specializing in post-construction cleaning. I thought they did a great job, then they came BACK several weeks later. Sparkling. No way we were going to clean up AFTER them.

Wish I could get DH to "splurge" on getting some crew into the rental house we have SLOWLY been vacating over a month. I have severe mold, mildew, and dust allergies; anything perfumed or harsh makes me gag. To me it is not worth my health or my time to clean the place inefficiently and inexpertly. Like I said, we've been getting out of there slowly over a month and cleaning up slowly bit by bit as we get out of there. A cleaning crew could make short work of this, I'm sure.

I think cleaning painted walls can be handled by a microfiber mop or a swiffer or any of those gentle surfaces with no hard bits. I think Magic Erasers are good for most things EXCEPT paint, but that's anecdotal evidence.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Kohler Stages Sink: review after 6 weeks of use
There have been some threads here regarding the Kohler...
rjr220
Any good, light-weight cookware out there?
I'm really not complaining. I cook on All-Clad and...
eam44
Fridge against wall
I'm looking at a plan and the refrigerator is placed...
tammyte
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Sponsored Products
Nolan Upholstered Bed - 900-901KQ
$772.00 | Hayneedle
Anatolia Brown and Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
TOTO Transitional Collection Series B 24" Towel Bar
Modern Bathroom
Banded Aluminum Outdoor Wall Sconce Grande No. 305895 by Hubbardton Forge
$1,030.00 | Lumens
Hesse Dining Table - Black Wood Black
Joybird Furniture