Kitchen remodel, hood dilema

fishymomNovember 30, 2012

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel. The kitchen is in the center of our home, sharing a wall with our living room. The ceiling is vaulted and the wall is open above the current 42" cabinets with standard size crown moulding. Currently, the cooktop with a microwave above is on that wall, along with the refrigerator. We have double wall ovens on the opposite wall and the sink and dishwasher are on a perpendicular wall that is open to the breakfast nook and family room. The new kitchen will have a double oven range with a hood. Ideally, I would like to have the range and hood on the open wall where the cooktop is, mainly because that is the view from the family room where we spend most of our time. I am concerned about how the stack will look from the living room, running up the middle of the house and visible from all part of the living area, as well as the expense of running it up the height of the vaulted ceiling. If I put the range and hood on the opposite full wall, where the double oven is currently, the range and hood will be visible from the dining room, breakfast room and front door, but not the family room. Moving it to the oven wall will also create the triangle with sink, range and fridge, which I am told is a good thing. I don't want to regret not spending the money on the stack, but I just can't see it looking nice from the living room, even though I would like the kitchen side placement better. The only way that I can envision it looking nice is to put a fireplace on the living room side of the wall, but that is not in the budget right now. And being in South Florida, a fireplace is not really a selling point, so no chance of recovering the expense if/when we sell. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhome410

A layout (current and proposed) and maybe some photos would help.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:39PM
fishymom

Here is the layout with the range and hood on the fridge wall

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:23PM
fishymom

View of the fridge wall from the family room

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:24PM
fishymom

Oven wall layout, the blank space is a where a shelf cabinet will be.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:25PM
fishymom

Oven wall

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:27PM
fishymom

New cabinets

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:28PM
lalithar

My friend has a similar set up and she used a more modern looking hood and it was fine. In fact she is planning to remodel and convert that area into a island with raised eating counter behind the cook top and she hopes to keep the same Kobe hood. She has a Miele or a kobe hood I think.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:30PM
fishymom

Shelf cabinet.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:31PM
fishymom

The sink wall is going to stay as is, except switching the dishwasher and base cabinet and adding a bar height counter.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:32PM
fishymom

Some details, the pantry is 21" and the 30" range will be flanked by the two 9" cabinets pictured and 15" wall and base cabinet to the right. The hood will be centered with 3-4" between the pantry and wall cabinet.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:44PM
fishymom

It looks like I am going to ave to make this decision without the benefit of a design drawing. Our KD is out until Dec. 10th and we need to get the cabinets ordered before then. I would really appreciate any input on this, thanks!

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 5:01PM
cloud_swift

If the range is on the refrigerator wall, you won't have much working space on either side of it - just 9", right?

I think the kitchen will work better with the range where the cooktop is so that there is more landing space next to it. Is there any need to keep the opening above those wall cabinets? The house might be quieter with that closed off and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose by being open.

Another alternative would be to just put a section of drywall for the vent stack to go up.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™