island pendants

burghmomNovember 19, 2013

Is there a rule of thumb for the size of pendants in relation to the size of a kitchen island? My island is 88" long and 36" wide. I understand that you should have the lights at least 18" in from each end of the island, but what about the size of the dome itself?? I am looking at 3 pendants that are 6.75" wide and 7.5" tall. This pic is the "before" pic of course. Changing the fixtures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen.ohio

I have just installed 3 eight inch pendants on an island that is 10 x 3. They are the popular industrial look pendants. I think I could have installed ten inch pendants, but I was told the smaller size would work. They look fine. I have to get used to them as I have never had an island in any house we have lived in. I will say that I am having trouble adjusting to the light in my kitchen because the room is not flooded with light from one or two large ceiling fixtures.

It has been suggested that you make a mock up of the size you are considering and hang it to give yourself an idea of the dimensions.

Karen

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 9:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strayerdarb

Someone told me to blow up balloons to the proposed size and hang them from a string. I did it and it was a good way to visualize the size and number I wanted.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Northern Jersey/Big Apple
I am going to be in this area for a couple weeks. I...
a2gemini
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™