kitchen, granite, alka seltzer

cjchighvalleyNovember 25, 2012

One year ago we hired a k'or to remodel our kitchen in a mountain home. we purchased a viking 42 inch pro rangetop and a 48 inch downdraft. The contractor never mentioned that this might be a particularly difficult installation.

Now the rangetop is installed about 1/8 inch lower than the counter and has no trim piece and so there is no smooth transition from the sides of the rangetop to the counter.

The granite around the downdraft short side (about 2-3 inches), was chipped out by hand on each side to accommodate the telescoping fan and looks like it was chewed by a mouse. The K'or now says because the 42 inch range top was shorter than the 48" downdraft this created a problem, and that he will cover this with a stainless piece that he will have fabricated. This is a small kitchen, and workers have been sent up with no apparent supervision. (The contractor installed the granite backsplash before wiring for the under cabinet lighting, and so then, without discussing it with us, sent up a worker to install battery operated lights. The electric lines were run below the hvac ducting). I'm very worried that this is really a templating problem not fixable without redoing the granite. Has anyone heard of something like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

If my house, I would stop all work until the two issues described are resolved. This contractor sends subs/employees with little to no guidance as written, or they have no experience. Regardless, this is an issue that needs to be resolved asap.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™