kitchen, granite, alka seltzer

cjchighvalleyNovember 25, 2012

One year ago we hired a k'or to remodel our kitchen in a mountain home. we purchased a viking 42 inch pro rangetop and a 48 inch downdraft. The contractor never mentioned that this might be a particularly difficult installation.

Now the rangetop is installed about 1/8 inch lower than the counter and has no trim piece and so there is no smooth transition from the sides of the rangetop to the counter.

The granite around the downdraft short side (about 2-3 inches), was chipped out by hand on each side to accommodate the telescoping fan and looks like it was chewed by a mouse. The K'or now says because the 42 inch range top was shorter than the 48" downdraft this created a problem, and that he will cover this with a stainless piece that he will have fabricated. This is a small kitchen, and workers have been sent up with no apparent supervision. (The contractor installed the granite backsplash before wiring for the under cabinet lighting, and so then, without discussing it with us, sent up a worker to install battery operated lights. The electric lines were run below the hvac ducting). I'm very worried that this is really a templating problem not fixable without redoing the granite. Has anyone heard of something like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

If my house, I would stop all work until the two issues described are resolved. This contractor sends subs/employees with little to no guidance as written, or they have no experience. Regardless, this is an issue that needs to be resolved asap.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Fridge against wall
I'm looking at a plan and the refrigerator is placed...
tammyte
Any good, light-weight cookware out there?
I'm really not complaining. I cook on All-Clad and...
eam44
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Sponsored Products
Hudson Reed White Vertical Round Tube Designer Radiator 63 x 18 1/2
Hudson Reed
Aluminum Dining Chair
$125.99 | Dot & Bo
42" Tuscan 60/40 Offset Double-Bowl Copper Farmhouse Sink
Signature Hardware
George Kovacs Bridge 10" Wide Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Currey & Company 64 x 25 Charleston Cabinet
LuxeDecor