Add a veneer skin to exposed ends of MDF cabs after installed?

stayghostNovember 16, 2012

So we went with MDF boxes instead of plywood (which I regret), and they look fine with the exception of the toe kick area / bottom front corner of the cabinet run where it stops before a hallway. It's pretty roughed up right where the granite people had to come back and make adjustments so I assume it happened then.

Basically it looks like laminate "paper" wood finish is peeling up at the edge. It's only been up 2 weeks so I can only image how this would look in a few months, let alone years.Trying to think of a viable solution and not sure if I'm interpreting this right.

Can I buy the 3/16" veneer "skins" and have them applied to the exposed end runs of the cabinets, behind the "ear" of the face frame. Get matching finish from my cab maker, have them glued / bradded / puttied, and then this peeling issue would go away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elraes Miller

I added floor trim below all of my cabinets. It was a simple job. You could do this and also add trim along the edges of the cabinet. What I would do though is cut a panel to fit and then add trim too. An 1/8" thick panel would be better than veneer. Just washing the floor is going to have water seep into your cabinet wood. I also used clear sealant to keep water from floor to cabinet base. Not much, just enough to make a seal and be able to remove if necessary.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 3:36PM
motherof3sons

Do you think it was loose before the granite installers returned? That amount of damage looks like there was an underlying issue.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:01AM
jakuvall

Skins, already finished to match, are a pretty standardoffering forbrands that have those type of ends.
Glue with construction adhesive, can use a few pins or just blue tape until glue sets(24 hrs). Just be sure to get a good even adhesion- hold a wood block on it and tap gently all over. If the skin is warped do not install, ask for replacement.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:34AM
brickeyee

"Glue with construction adhesive"

Contact cement works a lot better at making the very thin glue line you want.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 10:20AM
jakuvall

and a lot worse at positioning or adhering to the substrate which is non porous

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™