Kitchen Ceilings

granite_rockNovember 17, 2012

Remodeling Kitchen and need help! I have 8 Foot ceilings in my kitchen. Wondering if I should have the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling or should I stagger some? What would look the best and make the kitchen seem bigger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kellienoelle

In my opinion, no question about it, go all the way to the ceiling.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:07PM
badgergal

I along with many other GWers have 8 ft ceilings with all the cabinets to the ceiling there are been several threads about it in the past. Here are are couple of them

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0712595421594.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0621423910595.html

Also attached a link for more threads from a google search

Here is a link that might be useful: GW google search 8 ft. Ceilings

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:42PM
cooksnsews

I've got 8' ceilings and my uppers go all the way up. It's not a matter of how it looks, it's all about storage. Form follows function....

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:52PM
boxerpups

I love the look to the ceiling....

Imagine cleaning the tops of these cabinets...

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:04PM
lolauren

I think all the way to the ceiling look best and has the added benefit of additional storage.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:55PM
island

Boxerpups love the last picture you posted especially the island countertop. Do you have a source for that pix? Would like to kniw more details about that kitchen.
Thanks!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:01PM
williamsem

You just need to be careful about picking how high the cabinets are and how much trim you want. I was advised several times to avoid 42 inch uppers with my 8 ft ceiling. Unless it's perfectly level the cabinets end up slightly lower. And if you want moulding at the top, that pushes them down. And if you want a light rail on the bottom, you lose space between the counters and uppers too. So decided 36 or 39 would be better for me. Turns out 39 isn't offered in some lines and can be an expensive upgrade, so 36 inches it is!

You will have to decide what you want, but definitely some things to consider! Like everything else I've had to pick out, even that ended up not being as straight forward as I thought.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:34PM
BerlinGirl

We are doing a remodel now...out with the soffits and in with the cabinets all the way to the ceiling.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:16PM
breezygirl

My lids aren't even 8'. My old kitchen had a soffit. My ceilings seem taller now with the new kitchen with cabs to the ceiling.

I say run them to the ceiling. I'm not a big fan of staggering cabs anyway.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:48AM
Elraes Miller

Existing kitchen the PO put in. Nice cabinets, but hate the 5" below ceiling. Am working on filling with trim like the last photo Boxerpups posted. If they had used a standard 42" I wouldn't have this gap. Go all the way to ceiling, I think it looks so much more finished and makes the room feel larger.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:02AM
springroz

Boxer!! Good to see your pictures again!

I have redone 2 kitchens with 8 foot ceilings. After cle.aning the tops of those cabinets (or trying to....) of the grease that collects there, I would not even consider having space on top again!!

Nancy

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:11AM
karenschaewe

I staggered the uppers in my last kitchen only because there wasn't going to be enough space between the counter and backsplash with 39" tall cabs all the way across. We used Ikea so sizes were limited.

Cabs on both sides of the fridge were about 6" from the ceiling. I put some pretty bowls and teapots up,there.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 10:18AM
secondhalf

I was more concerned with my chimney exhaust looking too squat, but everyone here encouraged me and said it would be fine...it's being installed tomorrow. We did go all the way to the ceiling....I would never have considered not doing so....can't imagine cleaning up there:

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:05PM
autumn.4

Boxers "imagine cleaning up here" picture: I can't imagine PAINTING up there. It is a royal pain to crane your neck and shoulder in there - and NOT touch anything else with the roller. Forget about it, ugh! GO for it! This from someone who has 8 foot ceilings with cabs that do not go all the way. :(

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™