decisions!

fav.auntx2November 19, 2012

How did u decide what style doors to go with? This part is really hard for me. Anyone have advice? I can choose anything I want as they will be custom made and tailored to fit my needs exactly. Too many options is the bane of my existence!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloe.chloe

I think a good place to start is to figure out what kind of a look you are going for in your kitchen....traditional, modern, rustic, etc, and that will kind of dictate or at least steer you in the right direction with cabinets. I tend to gravitate towards the shaker cabinets ( white) because I feel they are quite versatile for me and my husband......I like traditional, he likes more modern. You can achieve the look you want by picking certain hardware, crown molding, glass insert doors, etc that suits your taste. I highly recommend you checking out the finished kitchens blog here ( you can just google "finished kitchens blog gardenweb") or check out houzz.com!! Good luck!!!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:59PM
gardenpixie

I went for functionality - slab doors with no nooks and crannies to collect crumbs and spills. The old cabinets had disgusting ledges that I tried and failed to clean with bamboo skewers and anything else I could think of, they were gross. The end result in the new kitchen is sleek and spare; it has been described as European and modern.

I have no clue about "styles" and admire people who can carry them off. The motto in my house is that if I like something, it has to like the other items I like, if you understand my rambling. As a result we have an antique Victorian granny chair in front of a Chinese carved screen, with an African craft table next to it. Seems crazy, but it works - it has to!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:17PM
fav.auntx2

Chloe.Chloe, I took your advice and reviewed inspiration pics as well as looked over Houzz. You were right :) helped tremendously! I now have a decision on my doors!

Gardenpixie, I want to see your house! And I know I already love it bc I mix traditional with anything that catches my eye and I fall in love with! My design soul mate, you must be!! Our difference is I will choose design over functionality and ease of cleaning; as my mitered raised panel doors obviously prove lol I also admire those people who can pull an entire look together and stay within the confines of the design chosen. I'm not one of them either :)

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
Sponsored Products
Super Slab With Finger Grooves Chopping Block - 12020
$127.56 | Hayneedle
Kenwood Pink KEN04 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$254.15 | Bellacor
Spruce Stratford Silkspun Rope Hammock
Fifthroom.com
Reversible Grain Cutting Board - 1314
$42.99 | Hayneedle
Kenwood Ivory KEN04 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$254.15 | Bellacor