toe kick Q

5yearslaterNovember 22, 2012

Do I need open toe kicks? KD says yes in working areas. I notice many of my favorite GW kitchens have decorative molding at the bottom of the cabinets. Does this interfere with you standing at the cabinet and working? It does give a nice furniture feel which I like very much.

Would it not allow for toe kick drawers? What are the other disadvantages / advantages of each approach?

I searched for this discussion because it probably isn't new, but didn't come up with much.

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

How big are your feet? How far away from the counter does your stomach push you?

You may laugh, but those aspects do factor into whether or not you are comfortable with a flush toe area vs. a recessed one.

Do an experiment and block off the ones in your current kitchen and see if you constantly stub your toe against the blockage.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 1:16PM
5yearslater

Ha! I have definitely never seen those considerations. Thankfully at this point I am not pushed far out by my stomach, and I my feet are size 8, so average I guess. I will try to block off the toe area I have now and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 2:34PM
michelle16

Hi 5yearslater, everything in my kitchen is finished on the bottom, i did not want it left not finished.it doesn't bother me at all. I left my sink open with decorative feet, becasue I figured I spend alot of time there, and also i wanted to break it up, so my fridg,pantry and sink have the open decorative feet, others have base molding like in the picture. It felt undone to me otherwise, hope this helps!

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 2:49PM
5yearslater

Yes, yours is one I have admired that does not have toe kicks. I am concerned that my boys (2 plus husband are bigger than me already and a third on his way there) will be rough walkers and bump into the floor molding and scuff it quickly. Maybe toe kicks on my kitchen side with decorative feet at certain cabinets, and molding on my living side would be an ok compromise.
Thanks

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Layout question
I'm so close to the finish line on the layout! And...
tigger9759
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Custom Vanity expected pricing.
What would you expect to budget for a custom vanity...
palimpsest
Sponsored Products
Robbia Half Wall Sconce by Artemide
$315.00 | Lumens
Recife Summit Cocoa Square: 7 Ft. 6 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$149.00 | Bellacor
Eliot Leather Ottoman - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
INSPIRE Q Clybourn 18-inch Toss Mod Geometric Accent Pillow (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Commence Patio Outdoor Patio Armchair Recliner in Espresso White
$619.00 | LexMod
Circa Indoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
Monogrammed Mug - T
$12.00 | Horchow
Stratocumulus Rug
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™