Suggestions for Low-Priced Kitchen Cabinets

Xena99November 19, 2012

I have a set of white laminate kitchen cabinets in my studio and want to switch them to a dark color. Painting or refinishing is not an option due to the laminate. There is only 94 inches of base cabinets to replace.

Any suggestions for a really low-priced cabinets in a chocolate brown, full frame style?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne_sl

Any particular reason you want face frame cabinets? If not for that, I'd suggest Ikea.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:24PM
smiling

The chemistry of paint has come a long, long way in the last ten years. It may be possible now to successfully paint your laminate (while it might not have worked with old products). I've used paint formulated for plastic with great results, even on outdoor garden planters. If you had time, it might be interesting to talk with the paint expert at a local home store or paint store. Explain that you want to paint light colored laminate to dark brown and see what they recommend.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:33PM
Xena99

They are really junky and I need to replace the cheesy white countertop anyway, so it seems best to replace the cabinets rather than paint them.

I think the term I meant to use is FULL OVERLAY rather than Full Frame. Full overlay being a clean, contemporary look since I sometimes have clients in there. I want this to serve as a coffee bar and storage space. I have an ugly plastic laundry sink there now.

Ikea looks interesting but I guess you have to purchase or make a platform for them?

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 5:18PM
lisa_wi

I used Cliq Studios for my kitchen remodel. Check out their birch sable color in the Dayton or Rockford doors. Their website is cliqstudios.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My finished kitchen

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:11PM
PeterH2

> Ikea looks interesting but I guess you have to purchase or
> make a platform for them?

No - they have sturdy adjustable legs that make leveling very simple.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™