Newbie here, kitchen layout advice

MNTwinsNovember 17, 2012

Here's the initial layout for our kitchen, however I think it needs some changes. The stairs used to stick out further into the dining area, which was the initial reason for the angled island. My wife still prefers the angled island just to have something a little different, however she is willing to change her mind. There is generally just one cook in the kitchen, although there are often little kids running around as well.

For starters, I'm guessing we should move the fridge so that the island doesn't create a barrier. We are also putting a bigger window over the kitchen sink, probably a 4' wide awning window. What other changes would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That odd shaped island wastes a lot of space. Square it up and put a prep sink on it close to the range and it will be fine. However, that's an awfully small run of cabinets by the range to be able to visually support a hearth style range hood. Those are better left to much larger kitchens. Put the pantry and the ovens elsewhere, and you'd have enough room. But with it as designed, nope. It's gonna be too crowded for hearth style.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MNTwins

Thanks for the suggestions - we were thinking about squaring up the island, I think that's a good idea. As currently drawn in, the hearth range is more of a mini-hearth, kinda like this:

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Can we still email.....
like you could on the old GW, if you were set up to...
bicyclegirl1
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™