Silly Granite Question...???

MileHighDivaNovember 19, 2011

Can you flatten chicken breast on granite? Will it crack? Can you use a meat mallet to flatten chicken breast or tenderize a tough cut of meat on a granite counter top?

The other night I made chicken parmigiana in my current kitchen, which has Formica counter tops. I did not think about potentially damaging the counter or creating a crack.

I'll be upgrading to a level one granite (New Caledonia) when my new kitchen is installed. Will I still be able to cook the same way?

I just saw the crack in Duckspanked's granite, not from cooking, but from the installation and it got me wondering...can you flatten chicken breasts on granite counter tops?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Duckspanked's Cracked Granite Thread

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

I never flatten breasts directly on any surface that cannot go into the DW immediately. I'm assuming you immediately sanitize your formica when the chicken is removed???

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 11:35AM
MileHighDiva

Breezy, have a plastic cutting board that I use, but it's on the counter top when I'm flattening/pounding the chicken breast.

I'm wondering if the force of the pounding will crack the stone.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 12:10PM
janealexa

I wouldn't do that directly on the granite, I'd use a board specifically desginated for raw meat...preferably non-wood.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 12:37PM
MileHighDiva

Okay, I guess I phrased the question incorrectly. Will the force of pounding the meat on the cutting board, which is on the counter top cause a crack or fissure in the granite?

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 1:00PM
kashmi

We, too, just transitioned from formica to granite, but haven't worried about pounding chicken breasts -- on a disinfectable (if that's a word) cutting board on granite -- because I just don't pound chicken breasts all that hard.

I used to until I realized that it really didn't require all that much force. The lighter touch also means no tears in the flesh (either the chicken or mine if a finger gets in the way). Sometimes I'll score parallel lines with a knife first in the thick part and that seems to make for less pounding.

A long way of saying that I don't think this should be an issue unless you use chicken breast pounding time to exorcise the day's frustrations!

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 1:11PM
waterdamage

Agree with kashmi-- I would not whale away on anything that was on my granite, but I don't need to whale away to flatten chicken.

(Why is that expression "whale away"? Or is it "wail away"? I don't know the derivation of either but have been saying it since high school.)

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 3:43PM
Angie_DIY

(Why is that expression "whale away"? Or is it "wail away"? I don't know the derivation of either but have been saying it since high school.)

http://www.englishforums.com/English/WhaleWailWaleWealWelt/jxxlw/post.htm

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 4:19PM
magdiego

Can't answer the granite question, but I gave up pounding chicken breasts entirely and now butterfly them. For some reason I like the texture much better.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 8:00PM
francoise47

I would have no hesitation to pound chicken
on a cutting board on my granite counters.

I don't stand on my counters -- but otherwise,
I don't baby them.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:04PM
MileHighDiva

Thank you for the replies! I'll cross that potential issue off of my list. On my way, to Youtube, to look up how to butterfly a chicken breast.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 11:09AM
MileHighDiva

The video I located still involves pounding. I guess it's known that I need a way to exorcise the days frustrations:)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Butterfly Chicken Breast

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Mixing finishes
Appliances are white with brushed stainless handles...
oasisowner
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™