18ga vs 16ga Kitchen Undermount sink

troyce1November 13, 2012

I am looking to purchase an undermount sink for our new countertop.

I was planning on getting a 16ga undermount from MRDirect, but they are now out of stock on the sink I wanted, and only have the 18ga. w/ shipping the price comes out to $188

http://www.mrdirectint.com/346-offset-single-bowl-stainless-steel-sink.html

The most economical 16ga I have been able to find in the same design is the Artisan which is $235, over $45 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-AR-3120D10-D-Collection-Undermount/dp/B0084JY01Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

I am wondering now will the 18ga be noticeably lower quality? If not, I would rather save the $45 and spend it on other items needed for our kitchen.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

The Elkay sink I wanted came in only 19ga. I asked whether this would be an issue,I think on Plumbing, and I was assured that it was a negligible difference from 18ga. 16ga is slightly thicker, no doubt, but if it helps the budget, take the 18ga. In my case, the difference between the 19ga and a similar 16ga was $200, so budget was a factor for me, too.

I've been using my undermount 19ga for over a year, and it still looks new (when I polish it). And I wash my Springer Spaniel in it, so it's getting pretty heavy use.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on tile with this granite? Aquario
I saw that one or two people on here have the granite...
kelleg69
Fabricator questions
We were just told that the fabricator our contractor...
tea4all
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Odd Shaped Kitchen Remodel
I cross posted this in the Design Dilemma forum, but...
sdp123
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™