remodeling kitchen, looking for suggestions for wall cabinets

Mary1956November 13, 2012

Hi,

I'm remodeling my kitchen and moving my corner sink to wall and adding a window over it. We currently have two corner windows we plan on keeping. My concern is the two wall cabinets flanking the sink. I don't want them to appear to be just hanging there by themselves. They will be going all the way to the ceiling with crown molding as with the other other wall cabinets. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berardmr

Do you really need those two wall cabinets? Some open shelving in that space would look nice while still providing some functionality. Another possibility is to just enlarge the width of the window and do away with shelving or those those uppers. They do look rather lonely in your photo.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 12:09PM
Angie_DIY

Do you know where you will be storing dishes and glasses? Generally considered an advantage to have them close to the DW, but it does not look to me like you will have enough room in those uppers near the sink. If you plan to use drawers in the island across from the sink, then you could eliminate the uppers as berardmr suggested.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 12:56PM
camphappy

I would also agree with the above. If not too late, put a larger window over your sink and don't use uppers. You will love the openness it gives you. I just did that in my new kitchen and love the results. I now keep all glasses, plates etc. in drawers. One of my favorite things about my kitchen.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Do I need drywall behind cabinets?
I am building a counter-height knee wall between my...
DIY2Much2Do
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Recommendation for range hood insert?
I need to order one for a custom hood cabinet. The...
Lisa Whalen
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™