Tumbled copper slate backsplash

terriksNovember 12, 2007

I haven't really posted here since we built our house two years ago. I wanted to do my own tile backsplash and it's taken this long to get it done!

I bought the tile over 6 months ago and just finished. I painted wood outlet covers with craft paint to match the tile, which is tumbled copper slate. The grout is "tobacco" by Custom. The granite on the counter is tan brown. We plan to replace the actual outlets with brown ones. We also need to caulk between the counter and the backsplash.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cleo07

It is stunning and worth the wait.. Congratulations!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:08AM
susanka

Stunning indeed! What a wonderful look. I've already ordered my tumbled slate, but if I hadn't.....

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:29AM
raehelen

That's beautiful! Could you show a close-up picture of the trim around your backsplash mosaic and tell me what the trim pieces are?

Not to be piggish- but I'd also love to see an overall picture from further away if possible. I generally find backsplashes just too distracting or a little 'off' from many of the photos I've seen, yours somehow seems 'just right'. If you don't mind, I'm going to add these photos to my inspiration file!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 1:19PM
terriks

Thanks for the compliments. When we were building the house I considered upgrading to a "flashier" granite, but decided to go with one of the "builder grade" granites and do something special with the backsplash. The trim around the mosaics behind the cook top is the same copper slate in a pencil trim.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the overall kitchen:

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 2:25PM
patti_bee

Wow, that is lovely. Mind sharing which brand of craft paint you used? I've been eyeing the outlets in my backsplash with hopes of disguising them a bit more.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:09PM
terriks

I used some paints that I had left over from another project. I used Plaid's FolkArt in Metallic Antique Copper and Burnt Umber and Modern Masters Ivy from their Metallic Paint Collection. I bought that one at a paint store.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:20PM
oruboris

Beautiful material, beautiful install.

There's part of me that would still love to do my whole main floor in this stuff...

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:22PM
antiquesilver

Terriks - Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Patti bee - another option besides paint is to cover the electrical covers with adhesive backed copper foil which you can patina or not. It's sold in sheets at stained glass supply stores.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:33PM
susanka

oruboris, me too! Dh just couldn't live with that much slate, but I'm ecstatic about getting our slate backsplash this week.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:57PM
terriks

The backsplash ties in with our 3 sided fireplace

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 4:32PM
raehelen

Oh terriks,

Now you've really got me thinking! We're just beginning our LR reno, and we JUST tore down all our brick facing on the fireplace. We have a pony wall in the LR that we are topping with the same granite as in the kitchen, but didn't want to be too matchy-matchy for the FP surround, but if I do the slate backsplash...I could coordinate THAT with the FP... and of course, that would then go perfectly with the granite on the pony wall...

I also love your mantle...you are far more restrained than me, don't think it would remain so clean for long...

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 6:23PM
janwad

Terrific look! I love the painted outlet covers.

Taymac.com has a line of outlets that are meant to be painted.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 8:12PM
jerzeegirl

It's really beautiful. You did a great job!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 10:14PM
cat_mom

Very warm and rich colors. Overall a very luscious look!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 10:31PM
needanap

We also chose copper slate for our fireplace, and it was just tiled. Still have to stain the molding piece around the floor edge, and need to buy a new fireplace screen, but seeing your beautiful copper slate inspired me to post. I used a sealer/enhancer on the tiles which brought out more color and luster.

and here was the fireplace before (with some other tiles I was considering:

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 9:26PM
terriks

Your fireplace looks great! What an improvement over the old tile.

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 11:49PM
muscat

I love that slate!!!! Ah, so pretty. Definitely adds personality- I think your instinct to go with more mundane granite and a very stunning tile job was a great idea.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 3:25AM
Flowerchild

Terriks - Beautiful colors and great job!! The FP is wonderful too.

needanap - Thanks for posting those FP pics. I was just going over to the FP forum to see if I could find some slate surrounds. We were debating between Marble (too common IMHO) and slate for our bedroom FP. Now that I see yours I know the slate will go better in our Timber Frame home.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 9:26AM
Flowerchild

Where did you get your slate?

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 9:33AM
terriks

My slate is made by Dal-Tile and is available at most tile stores and by special order at Lowes. I found the prices at Lowes to be higher than my local tile store.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 12:51PM
needanap

Thanks Terriks - I guess great minds think alike. Your backsplash gets prettier every time I look at it!

My copper slate came from Tile America, but I'm sorry that I don't know which brand it is.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 10:57PM
starpooh

terriks ~ your kitchen is simply gorgeous! May I please archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB) along with the other finished kitchens of Gardenweb members? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 9:33AM
terriks

starpooh, thanks so much for the compliment. Please use it in the kitchen blog. I am so flattered.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 11:18PM
boanerges

Wow that looks great! I have been looking at similar tiles but have found nothing quite that nice Terrick!

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
High backsplash install quote
My contractor just gave us a quote of $2,200 to install...
leemiller
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Do I need drywall behind cabinets?
I am building a counter-height knee wall between my...
DIY2Much2Do
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™