Standard overhang on granite countertop?

mbw1November 16, 2010

I'm talking about the "lip" on the countertop that cantilevers out over the cabinets....talking with hubby last night (he was home when the granite guys templated) and he said there is about a 1.5 inch overhang to allow the countertop to cover the top of the door/drawers and dishwasher and to keep a little distance between your legs and the cabinet fronts.

It seemed like a lot to me.........does this seem like a normal depth? anyone have a measuring tape handy?LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shar-az

1 1/2 inch is what is standard.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:13AM
davidro1

if the cabinets don't have doors or drawer fronts on them yet, measure 2 1/4" from the cabinet fronts. I asked for more, and when It got installed it didn't seem like much after the drawers got their drawer fronts.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 1:01AM
artemis78

Yup, that's standard. We had closer to 2" on our old counters (because the cabinets were only 22" and they had tried to add depth with the counters) and even that didn't feel like much in daily use.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 1:13AM
mbw1

Thanks everyone! I was a tad worried. Never had granite before. Just something else to obsess about with a kitheno reno!

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 6:16AM
azstoneconsulting

1 1/2" is the usual and customary amount of overhang from the FACE of the CABINET FRAME - to the outside edge of the countertop - anything less than that can expose the face of the doors and drawers of the cabinet assembly......

hth

kevin

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 8:14AM
mbw1

Thanks Kevin........you scared me for a minute my hubby is Kevin also and I'm thinking "did he join the forum"!LOL....

That's exactly what my husband Kevin told me and even though he built me 2 houses and builds furniture I was still skeptical...it's a wife thing....we question everything don't we??

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 9:21AM
Steve_58_telus_net

Hi. I just had to chime in. We just had our granite installed and the overhang is 2 inches. Now we have the slide in range installed and we can see the sides of the range. The nuts and bolts. If our installer had taken that into consideration, I'm sure the overhang would have been closer to 1 1/2.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™