Backsplash help

Allison Gamba Design ConsultantNovember 2, 2013

I haven't posted pictures of my kitchen revel yet because I did a whole house Reno and its just been too crazy. I have mostly been a lurker here with occasional postings but have learned SO MUCH from the GW. Now I need help with a backsplash. I have a wood hood and the upside down corbels in the pic will be below it, on the backsplash. I am thinking of doing an inset of either mosaic with a frame around it and subway throughout the rest of the kitchen. My kitchen is large and this will be the focal point. I am just having a tough time picturing the two-toned one because I think it might look too much like a checkerboard, maybe I am being crazy. But I think the arabesque might be too safe and not pop. Opinions please!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

What size area will be covered by the focal backsplash? The darker accent pieces may become too dominant if there will be many of them. Hence the question. By "too dominant" I mean that they may take focus away from granite. That is not necessarily bad; it just depends upon what you would prefer. Very pretty choices--all of them.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 10:35AM
LoPay

I like the two toned ones. I think the color will add just the right amount of interest and keep things from being to monochromatic.

What are you going to do use for your border? I think a contrast might be interesting.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 10:40AM
snookums2

I think either would be really pretty. As far as the two toned pattern, isn't there an example of some sort so people can see how it lays out?

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 1:02PM
bookworm4321

I vote with the 2-toned one. This is said after spending my past week looking at BS, and deciding I like interesting ones.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
Allison Gamba Design Consultant

This is a pic of the cooktop area, the inset would be approx 36"w x 26"h. The webisite for the 2-toned mosaic is AWFUL!! But they are a custom company and when I first saw the pattern it was reversed with the clovers dark and the other pieces light, the dark clovers were way to strong. I've seen the arabesque all laid out and it's really interesting but I just think it might be too matchy-matchy. I'm not sure what type of frame I would use, something with a contrast could work. I am also considering asking if they could make the clovers one shade darker to see if that would look better.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:32PM
nosoccermom

I would go with the Arabesque because it would create interest without being right in your face. Your kitchen looks very classy, so I think subtle may be more in the long run. You can always get colorful accessories that can be changed out.
Plus, I suppose I'm not really a fan of focal mosaics behind the range, even when done nicely. I'd worry that I'd get bored with it or that it gets dated very quickly, even when done well.

Could you do a separate board with the two-tone tile that you can put up behind the range and that can be changed out?

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
Marmoleum - Who has it, who loves it, and would you do it again?
I am narrowing down flooring choices for my small kitchen...
cluelessincolorado
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Alternatives to Rohl Modern Architecture Faucet?
My husband and I both really like the Rohl Modern Architecture...
K L
Sponsored Products
Delray 48" Bathroom Vanity Set With Integrated Sink by Wyndham Collection - Glos
Modern Bathroom
36" Halifax Bamboo Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
Accents Borders & Trims: U.S. Ceramic Tile Flooring Bright Red Pepper 4-1/4
$2.46 | Home Depot
2" Solid Brass Wall Tile with Clover Design - Burnished Brass
Signature Hardware
Fresca Oxford 72" Traditional Double Sink Bathroom Vanity - Antique White
Modern Bathroom
Amare 36" Wall-Mounted Bathroom Vanity Set with Vessel Sink by Wyndham Collectio
Modern Bathroom
Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Ivy Design - Bronze Patina
Signature Hardware
Design House Bathroom 25 in. W Cultured Marble Vanity Top with White on Bone
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™