Side mounted drawer glides - recommendations

blackchamoisNovember 14, 2013

My cabinet maker will be installing side mounted glides vs. bottom mounted. I know I am sacrificing some drawer width for height but that's the trade off I went with.
I have heard/read a lot about Blum and it sounds like that is the brand of choice, but he said he was going to use either KV or Accuride.

They will be self/soft closing and full extension. I want a smooth motion and don't want to be tugging hard to open the drawer or pushing hard to close.

Any feedback/opinions/advice?

Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katy-lou

We used the accuride under mounts for a few of the drawers because the Blum come in 3" increments and the accuride ones come in 2". The Blum are more elegant, but the accuride ones seem to work fine too. We are using accuride side mount ones in the pantry because they are the only ones that seem to make something large enough - 40" long!

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 12:10PM
blackchamois

Thank you. He is going to bring me a sample of each installed on a drawer. Hope there are others who can provide some additional feedback. I also posted on the Woodworking forum and Furniture forum but so far no replies :(

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 1:03AM
meganmca

I've used accuride sidemounts in a number of places--I built rollouts for my existing kitchen & used them there, years ago, and also on a couple furniture pieces I've built. They're AWESOME. OK, I haven't used soft-close, but that doesn't seem like the hardest part of the tech, it's the smoothly-rolling-for-years under-weight thing. And that, they have.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 7:34AM
blackchamois

Thanks Megan! That's what I needed to know. Cabinet maker is coming tomorrow with samples. I'll keep you posted!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 9:04PM
blackchamois

So he brought a sample drawer with KV side mounted soft closing glides installed. Boy was it hard to open AND close. Took three pushes. He's going to try the Accuride or a German made one (can't recall the name) and bring another sample on Monday.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 11:21PM
catbuilder

If it was hard to open and close, I'd suspect that the drawer box was sized incorrectly.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:18AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Grass and Hafele are also good brands.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
mtnfever

What model number KV slide did your cabinet maker's sample have?

I looked into the below slides to replace my 30yr old KV roller slides. These new slides (KV calls them Force Management) are supposed to offer soft close without a hard pull to open the drawer. The model number is KV8450FM.

I posted a link below to the Woodworker's Supply website (no affiliation) which has details on them.

The slides have very narrow installation tolerance, which is no big deal for you since you're doing new cabinets, but ended up being a deal breaker for me. So I can't give an in-use testimonial but may be worth looking into.

cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: the DV slides at woodworker's supply website

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:55PM
blackchamois

@catbuilder - He's a pretty skilled cabinet maker so I wouldn't think he sized the box incorrectly, although it is just a sample box and not a "full" base cabinet. We'll see when he switches them out for a different brand. He favors side mounted glides so I know he uses them most consistently but also favors the non-self closing type.

@hollysprings - Thank you. I'll mention those.

@mtnfever - Thanks for the model number. Not sure what he used, but I will tell him about these.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Zinc countertop anyone?
Hi. I'm doing a new kitchen and I have a medium-sized...
halgreene
Remodeling my Kitchen - want all the input you can give me
Hi Guys, I have decided to remodel the kitchen of a...
wcutiew
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
HELP - need to pick a floor stain by tomorrow!
Hi, I'm struggling to pick a floor stain from the samples...
seosmp
Sponsored Products
Top Cat Black Outdoor Pillow
$109.00 | FRONTGATE
Windom Shower Set with Classic Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
Upton Home Barmere Writing Office Desk
Overstock.com
Addison Faux Leather Dining Side Chair - Set of 2 - SUNP213
$750.00 | Hayneedle
Capital Lighting River Crest Mediterranean Semi Flush Mount
1800Lighting