Cleaning black granite?

erpatchesNovember 11, 2010

I am trying different cleaners on my kitchen black granite and does anyone feel they have just the perfect one? I am just trying to eliminate smudges and prints.

Some cleaners are leaving a smear.

Thank you for any replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitchdesj

I use a tiny bit of dishwashing suds to clean mine, more suds if it's around the cooktop and it's greasy; then I follow with a water only wet cloth; I might even wipe it down with a dry cloth to finish it off and remove all traces.

Seems like a long process but it's not, the trick is in using multiple cloths,
I have 2 dozen and throw the used ones on the washer, do a load every 2 days.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 9:28AM
Jodi_SoCal

I use a mixture of 50% water and 50% rubbing alcohol on my Impala Black granite and it works like a charm.

Jodi-

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 9:42AM
olga_d

I just use a wet dishcloth, I'm normally cleaning the counter after doing dishes anyway so this is easy to do. If there's a greasy spot or splatters I make sure my cloth is soapy. Then wipe dry with a microfiber cloth, that's what gets rid of the smudges and stuff. You don't need any special cleaners.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 9:48AM
buehl

Polished Absolute Black Premium counters here! (Love them!)

The secret is how you wipe/dry your counters...dry/wipe in a circular motion, not back-and-forth in a straight line.

Personally, I use Method's Daily Granite Cleaner with a microfiber cloth when I want my counters looking "pristine" and shiny. For everyday use, though, I just use a "soapy" dish cloth and either let it air-dry or dry w/a regular dish towel. Yes, there are sometimes streaks, but I don't care for everyday use, as long as it's clean. Oh, if you use too much detergent you will get a haze unless you rinse it off...so, go easy on the detergent!

I do keep meaning to try the 50/50 alcohol/water mix Jodi mentioned, but I keep forgetting about it until one of these threads is started!

BTW...have you seen this thread? http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0205202526767.html (It's also linked in the "Read Me" thread.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 11:29AM
cat_mom

Alcohol and water mixture here as well. I just started using this to clean my (black) granite (and SS appliances and sink, and the burner pans on my Wolf range--best kitchen spray ever!), and I swear our granite looks better than ever (nice shine!).

I add some lavendar essential oil to my mixture (which is somewhere between 30-50% alcohol to water). The lavendar oil, in addition to smelling nice (!), has anti-bacterial properties as well.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 2:09PM
angel411

I have polished black granite and second what Buehl said about Method Daily Granite cleaner and microfiber cloth. Anything else I've tried leaves streaks. I use this stuff daily after each kitchen use, if needed. But then again, I'm a self-proclaimed obsessive countertop wiper....just love it when they're shiny!!

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 3:17PM
calimama

I have found that the cleaner isn't as important as the cloth. Usually I clean with a sponge and buff dry with the microfiber cloth. Also helps with the smudges.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 5:38PM
babs711

I posted in another thread that Method's Daily Granite cleaner and a microfiber cloth are what works for me every time to give my dark shiny granite a perfect shine every time.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 6:12PM
cat_mom

Oh--I use a microfiber cloth with my alcohol/water/lavendar spray (use done with previous cleaner, Perfect Kitchen, too).

Christmas Tree Shop had them in very pretty colors--@ $1 each.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 7:22PM
sugar_maple_30

I also use 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water in a spray bottle, and a microfibre.

It's cheaper than any cleaner you can buy, and it works beautifully.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 7:29PM
erpatches

Thanks for everyone help and I am going to try all the suggestions. I love the black granite and I knew I could be doing it better!

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:25AM
caayu

To all, I would be cautious with the alcohol, especially if it is a resin treated stone (like Black Absolute) Alcohol works great because it evaporates very quickly but long term it will break-down the resin.
Other cleaners to look out for are those that use coconut oil. I have seen lighter colored stones like Kashmir white and Shivakashi darken from oil penetration.
Method and SCI Counteriffic are at the top of my list.
Caayu

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 4:10PM
cat_mom

caayu--even if you wipe right after spraying? Does enough really penetrate over time to cause a problem? (not asking to be snarky, really just wondering) Would the problem only be with rein treated stone?

I tried Counteriffic when we first had our Labrador Golden Flake granite installed--didn't like it much (found it to leave the counters smeary unless they were wiped with a perfectly dry microfiber--impossible to keep it dry for each subsequent section of counter after the first section was wiped).

I do like SCI's Marbalex for washing my tile floors though (stone and porcelain).

I had been using Perfect Kitchen (from BB&B) on our coutners, and liked that a lot, but I find the alcohol and water really does the best job at leaving the granite smear-free, and shiny.

Wondering if any long-term users of alcohol-water would chime-in re: their experience; e.g. any issues with your granite from using alcohol-water? Thanks!

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 9:48PM
cat_mom

PS sorry for the typos--I don't type with the correct fingering and then, too often hit send before checking what I've typed.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 11:38PM
buehl

Resin in AB??? I don't think my stone is resined.

Since when are the denser stones resined???

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Need blackish paint suggestions
We have assembled most of our Barker cabs. The wall...
aktillery9
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Mojave Tan Lavender Limited Dog Bowl
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Adesso Black & Steel Magazine Rack
$51.72 | LuxeDecor
Block Squares Flatweave Runner 2'3" x 8' - DOVE
$169.00 | Horchow
Cuisinart 55-11R Red Advantage Nonstick 11-piece Cookware Set
Overstock.com
KingsBottle Black 120-bottle Dual Zone Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting P5775-31 Fairview Textured Black Outdoor Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Orange & Ivory Arts & Crafts Wool Rug
$49.99 | zulily
King Jacquard Stripe Sham - SILVER (20X36)
$190.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™