Double bowl sink with a low center divide?

Melissa-KitchenNovember 22, 2012

I am replacing our countertops with granite as well as our current double sink. One of the options that I have available to me is a double sink that has a low center divide. I was told it is about half the height of the sink, so 4 1/2 inches. The benefit would be that I could lay a large roasting pan or cookie sheet across the two bowls of the sink but only having 4 1/2 inches depth before I overflow into the other side concerns me a little.

Does anyone have a similar sink? Do you like it, dislike it? I am a big baker but my present 50/50 sink is fine for washing cookie pans. I just wash one half and then flip for the second half. My only complaint is that I can't soak a large roasting pan in it.

I'll have to admit that I can't go with a single sink or a double with the tiny side bowl because I let my dishes drip dry in the other half of the sink. I don't want to have to dry them immediately or have something on the counter. I have young boys and after dinner cleanup is a crazy time around here. I do have a dishwasher so I'll only be using the sink for pots & pans.

Thanks in advance for any comments regarding the low divide sinks. I have had sick kids for 2 weeks and I am trapped in the house so I haven't been able to go play with the sinks in person.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MizLizzie

Although I am deeply attached to my Kohler 70/30 Lakefield, I saw a lot to like in those low divide sinks when I was looking. But I rarely run a sink of water and wash dishes by hand. Still, 4 1/2 inches in that big bowl would be a lot of water.

I don't know if it helps you, or if you are set on stainless, but the Kohler's cast iron Carrizo is a really unusual sink with a sort of elevated drying deck. IIRC, the right side was roasting-pan sufficient. I liked it a lot. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Carrizo

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 10:19AM
badgergal

I have the Silgranite Blanco Performa Medium 1-3/4 sink. The overall sink measures 33x19 and fits in a 36 inch cabinet. The divide is 6 inches tall from the bottom of the sink so it would hold more water than the one you have looked at. I don't have a prep sink so I like having the 3/4 side for prepping. I find the larger size more than adequate for my large size pots and pans. Actually many of my pots and colanders etc fit in the smaller side too. I cookie sheet does not lay flat in the larger side but I don't care about that.
As many others have attested to on here the Silgranite sinks are great.
I have posted this picture many times already but in case you missed it here it is once again.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 11:36AM
PRO
modern life interiors

bump

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 12:56PM
Melissa-Kitchen

Thanks for the sink feedback. I had to make a decision today so I decided to go for a different model with the full divide. I measured my large dishes and pots and it's only one huge roasting pan that won't fit in the one that I selected. Since I only use that pan for turkey twice a year, I'll be fine. Either way, it's a big step up from my current sink.

Thank you very much for the picture and the link. Unfortunately, I have a 33 inch cabinet so I had to choose a smaller sink. It's still pretty big though... MizLizzie, I never thought about how much water I'll be using. I guess I can just use the smaller side for dishes if I am only doing a few.

Okay, one more decision made. :) 5 down, who knows how many more to go but I'm sure that I will be back here again for feedback.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 1:23PM
momand3boys

Melissa - what is the name of the sink you posted above? I am also looking for a double bowl w/low divide. I do not like the Kohler version because it has straight corners. Not sure I want two equal bowls, would like one to be larger.

I like the Silgranite 1-3/4 but not sure if I want a colored sink or stainless.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 1:40PM
KBSpider

Momand3boys, it looks like it says "Bristol Sinks" on that picture Melissa posted...googling it myself, as I'm also interested in a low divide sink, preferably 60/40...

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
karin_mt & Marble Owners Who Have Been Able to Remove Etching
I've read that some have been successful at removing...
aloha2009
Granite Install Advice, Which Support System is Better?
Which of these two mechanical support systems would...
athomesewing
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
keagle
Sponsored Products
Kraus Irruption Blue Rectangular Glass Vessel Sink with PU Chrome
Overstock.com
Kingston Brass Fauceture EVSPFC1 Round Tempered Glass Vessel Sink - Frosted Gree
$194.97 | Hayneedle
Whitehaus WHNCM3720EQ Stainless Steel 37'' Double Bowl Undermount Sink
Blue Bath
Rogge Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink - White
Signature Hardware
Virtu USA Bathroom Clarissa 72 in. Double Vanity in Grey with Glass Vanity Top
Home Depot
Asymmetrical Carrara Marble Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1500D-36S 36W x 65.5H in. Pebbled Glass Shower Door Mult
$528.99 | Hayneedle
Wyndham Collection Acclaim White 60-inch Double Vanity
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™