off gassing from instant hot water tap

debrak_2008November 28, 2012

My sink and instant hot water tap are now usable, yea! Since I'm at the sink now washing dishes I started noticing this smell. Combo of coffee grounds and new car smell. DH says it smells like burning plastic. Anyway, determined its coming from the insinkerator hot water tank. The smell is not constant. DH thinks it is noticable when the tank is in heating mode. I smell it as soon as I get within 3 feet of the sink. The water does not smell or taste funny.

I googled this and found nothing. I plan to keep the sink cabinet doors open as much as I can. Hopefully it will disappear soon.

Anyone have this issue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenpixie

We've been using ours since July and never noticed a smell. It was bought earlier on during renovation and had been sitting in the house for a few weeks before being installed. I wonder if that made the difference?

We love love love it! I hope the issue resolves soon for you.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:36AM
Poohpup

This is my second insta hot and haven't ever experienced what you're describing. No smell at all.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:42AM
debrak_2008

I have confirmed it only gives off the smell when in heating mode. Then the smell disappears. I have the cabinet doors open so hopefully that will help. I felt the unit and it is only slightly warm so I don't think its overheating.

I does concern me that both of you never had the smell...... Other than that we also love it! Hot chocolate mix disolves so fast and tea is so much quicker to make.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 2:03PM
jillies01

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:43PM
jillies01

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:44PM
debrak_2008

Hurray the smell is almost completely gone! I left the cabinets doors open all yesterday. Today I stood at the sink while the tank was heating, couldn't smell anything. Opened the doors, and it was barely noticable.

I'm surprised it dissipated that quickly since it was so strong.

I just got the OK to use the DW. WOW I've been without it since July or Aug. Another hurray!

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:39PM
juliekcmo

Are your cabinets new? If so, then the offgassing could very well be from the cabinet finish or adhesives, countertop resins, new paint, wall board, etc. reacting with the heat of the water heater. It may not be the heater itself.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Mixing finishes
Appliances are white with brushed stainless handles...
oasisowner
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™