HELP .. quick decision needed for granite

schnooksNovember 11, 2013

just found a house that is in process of being flipped.. we get to get in on decisions on remodeling! Have to pick granite. It's a brick cape cod with living room open to kitchen with a pine wood sunroom off kitchen.. I think we may keep the natural wood and not paint it.. any suggestions on granite or cabinet colors? Cabinets will eventually be repainted.. they are an ugly grayish blonde color right now. I think floors will be on the darker wood side.
thanks

(what are some popular wall colors these days for open layout and making space stay bigger looking? Have used softer tan which was awesome in the past)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbstx

I like lighter colored countetops. In my old house, I had Santa Cecilia. In the new house, I'm going to have something that the granite yard calls Ornamental White. It is quite similar to Kashmir White. I also looked at Venetian White and Venetian Ice. Both of the pieces I looked at were very light, but my friend installed Venetian Ice when she remodeled her kitchen and it is quite golden.

My walls for the living area are going to be BM Revere Pewter. I have seen it in a real house and I like it. I think it will fade into the background.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:59AM
may_flowers

Congratulations on your new home! What type of cabinets, how old are they, and what type of condition are they in? Sometimes granite is not the best choice. Pictures help.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:37AM
schnooks

unfort. the seller/flipper lady already bought new cabinets.. they are flat .. no detail.. kind of a rounded edge to them.. they will be painted.. but I have no idea what color yet.

I just stopped at a couple Kitchen showrooms and a lady there suggested a grayish color cabinet with lighter countertop.

Going to warehouse tomorrow .. the seller had already picked out a granite.. she said we can change and if more $$ we pay diff.

I saw uba tuba sample today with gold in it that looked nice with cream color cabinets. I am leaning toward off white/cream color cabinets to keep the space looking larger.. and thinking it would look nice w/ the pine sun room attached.. which has slate tile floor

thanks for suggestions.. unfot. I don't have pics.. the whole house is under construction as we speak. Will try to get some pics today tho when we sign contract.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 1:23PM
bbstx

If you don't like the doors, is it too late to get them switched out? In some circumstances, you can get doors changed out instead of getting all new cabinets. I have a friend who just moved into her new house. She has off white cabinets and brushed uba tuba countertops. The brushed uba tuba looks very nice and quite different from polished uba tuba.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Help design custom sink--mitigating risk
I posted here about the possibility of a marble sink...
crl_
Wolf gas range owners - would you buy Wolf again?
I posted a question on the Appliances forum last night...
kaysd
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Countertop help - Soapstone questions - Matte surface?
When I see pictures of soapstone, my heart goes pitter-pat....
lawjedi
Which Marble-Like Quartz with Ikea Adel Cabinets?
I'm trying to decided which Quartz Counter tops would...
cindyhg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™