Need Built-in Microwave advice

sandieiNovember 24, 2013

Have a Monogram whose magnetron died twice in 4 years. And I don't really even use it! I'm done. Would like to stay with a 2.0-2.2 stainless steel microwave--that will actually keep working!

A 24" GE would make it more likely I could keep the existing trim kit, but most important is to get a microwave that doesn't break!! Trim kits cost almost as much as the microwaves, and dont want to keep replacing them with the microwaves. So far I haven't found microwaves without breakage complaints.

Advice please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teachertile

My Kenmore is doing great!

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 8:48AM
suska6184

Wow, trim kits are that expensive? With that track record, I would not do it again, especially if you don't even use it.
I would turn that area into an open shelf for something that is used regularly. If you have a pantry, maybe just buy a small unit that can stay on the counter. I have a GE Profile spacemaker that is mounted to the bottom of my upper cabinets. Had it for around 6 years now, no issues at all with daily use, and I can still use the countertop beneath it.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 10:10AM
xedos

Stick with panasonic or sharp units.

Today's units have a lifespan of 5-10 years, period.

You can get a custom sized trim kit to fit any microwave for +/- $150 from MicroTrim in California.

Here is a link that might be useful: best bang for the buck: and they're everywhere

This post was edited by xedos on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 18:55

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 6:53PM
Roberta.Madison

Hi! Hope you don't mind my joining the discussion. Ours was a Whirlpool, when I still lived with my parents. We had it for over 5 years, and didn't have any complaints. I think it was in the house for around 8 years.

I took a look on the Whirlpool website just now and their new models are so much sleeker than ours was.

in case you'd like to see...

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Microwaves

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™