Fridge side wall question

MaccoNovember 3, 2012

Hello Y'all

My kitchen design will have me place the fridge in this corner, where that wonderful rounds art deco cabinet is.

The fridge will open from right to left and the wall to the left is about 38" deep; fridge is 33" deep.

How deep should that side wall be?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

If the hinge side of the refrigerator is against a wall or other obstruction and the refrigerator is not a built-in that's designed for such a situation, then you will need to do one of two things:

1. Install a 12" wide cabinet b/w the wall and the refrigerator to provide room for the refrigerator to open fully for both access and cleaning.

2. Shorten the wall so it is no deeper than the carcass (box) of the refrigerator. This will allow the door to open into the doorway and will allow the refrigerator to be opened fully.

Any obstruction (cabinet, wall, counter, etc.) adjacent to the refrigerator should be no deeper than the carcass of the refrigerator - the doors must stick out past the obstruction(s).

In our case, we reduced the wall next to the refrigerator to 24" so we would not need to put a 12" cabinet b/w the wall and the refrigerator. We also "built-in" the refrigerator for a more custom look by:

• Installing 3/4" side panels on either side of the refrigerator (no deeper than the refrigerator carcass)

• Installing a full-depth (24" deep) cabinet above the refrigerator.

Here are a couple of pics:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to install a built-in refrigerator

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Macco

Very helpful Buehl. Thank you.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™