Help!!!! Inset cab question

martipatNovember 28, 2012

My kitchen remodel is underway. I have white painted inset cabinetry - which I love. I decided to go the concealed hinge route as I wanted a "clean" look. I have two tall glass front doors and have an upper row of glass cabinets going across the top (9 ft ceilings). The hinges are obviously noticeable in the glass front cabinets. I knew they would be but I guess I am just taken aback by how much I notice them. Or is it something that I will get used to once things actually get put into the cabinets? I'm considering having them taken down and getting exposed hinges (although I really don't want to).

Anyone else have glass front inset cabinets with concealed hinges? What do you think? Can you post pictures??

Help please!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

I do not see any of my hinges in the glass doors. Are your hinges overly large?

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:16AM
BuddyBlue1

I have the same problem and so far they have yet to find me a solution. It totally annoys me every time I look up at them. Why would I put glass in a cabinet door and have hinges that stick out like a sore thumb? Right now I am wishing I would have gone with exposed hinges.

Motherof3sons, I would love to see pics of your glass cabinets and hinges. I would be so excited if there was a hinge that is not as obtrusive as the ones I have now.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:01AM
quiltgirl

Can you post a picture of your glass door cabinets with the hinges showing? I am glad you posted this as I have the same type of cabinet door in my plans. I did not think about seeing the hinges thru the glass!

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:23PM
CEFreeman

If your cabs are white, why don't you paint them?
Or see if the hinges come in white?

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 12:50AM
sombreuil_mongrel

You could have those replaced with Soss hinges which are routered into the edge of the doors and faceframes, and are invisible when the door is closed.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Soss concealed hinges

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 11:39AM
martipat

Hi everyone...sorry I did not follow up sooner as everything became really crazy (baby not sleeping, husband on crutches,etc). I will post pics soon but the kitchen is in and once the shelves were put in the hinges became less visible. I can still see them but they aren't as terrible as I thought they were going to be. I am going to look into the SOSs hinges mentioned here as a possible replacement in the future. I am breathing a bit better as I really wanted a clean look and wanted to avoid exposed hinges. Also, I started to ask questions to designers on houzz.com to see if the concealed hinges showed through their glass doors ( you can never really tell from pics) and they all assured me that they were visible. I'll post some pics in the next couple days...

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
Removing a load-bearing wall... $10,000!
Omigod. We just got a quote for removing the load-bearing...
ideagirl2
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Anyone have solid walnut slab cabinets?
Howdy! We're trying to decide if we want to do walnut...
Fori is not pleased
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™