Carrara backsplash pattern for our 1920's home?

newhomeowner2011aNovember 3, 2012

Our kitchen remodel includes new soapstone apron front sink and counter tops, light grey cabinets, stainless appliances, glass knobs (matching the door handles in our home) - it is small U-shaped kitchen in 1920's home with approx 30 sqft of backsplash needed.

We think Carrara marble would be a nice choice for our backsplash as we have it in our bathroom and love it and it has both grey and black to tie together the counter tops and cabinets - the big question...

Would you go for a brick pattern with 3x6 tiles or for a herringbone pattern with 1x2 tiles (comes on mesh)?

And we have a window over the sink with a few inches on each side between it and the cabinets as well as about 1.5' above the sink before the crown molding - would you tile up this wall as well? (it is the only wall in our kitchen sans cabinets so if not, we'd need to pick paint color)

Pls lend us your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Well, here is my carrara marble that I put up 1.5 years ago. And I still like it a lot. Mine is a tan color mixed with grays, but works with my cherry cabinets and the soapstone. I have 2x4 tiles that I cut apart from the mesh backing and rearranged into a herringbone pattern. I love herringbone so what can I say. I loved it as a kid. We wore much more wool back then, so I wore wool herringbone it when ever I could.

If you are doing this yourself be aware that doing what I did was fun but difficult because of the umpteen cuts. The running bond would be easier and the mosaics might be too, though when you get to the edges the individual tiles will need to be cut somehow.

As you can see I have a small kitchen, so not much counter space. I had considered running my tile up over one wall surrounding the door, to the right of the stove area, but decided to not do it because of caution and the fact that it took me about 3 hours per sq ft to install. I am a slow worker. Sometimes I think things went faster. Every time I would pick up steam with the installation there would be an edge or a corner that I would have to stop and may those diagonal cuts. But I enjoyed the process even with my complaining.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 11:31AM
oldhousegal

I used carrara marble in a herringbone pattern behind my stove in a niche alcove and I love it. I didn't use Carrara in the remainder of the kitchen, because I couldn't afford it and I'd already gotten a steal of a deal on 4x8 beveled subways. So, the Carrara was to complement my Carrara marble sink. I love the look.

You could always use it in herringbone to accent areas as well if you don't just want the subway pattern.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 2:54PM
Angie_DIY

What about a different pattern?

Here is a link that might be useful: 1826 Home

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 11:11PM
motherof3sons

Enduring - you did an awesome job! We tiled and grouted (until we ran out) our fireplace today. What a job!

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 1:42AM
enduring

Motherof3sons, thanks for your complement. Your going to love your results when done. Its getting there that can be a little daunting.

Are you going to post a picture of it when ready? I'd love to see it.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Need help with kitchen
Please help me with my kitchen lauout. My builder's...
ourgeorgiahouse
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™