Where do you store your kitchen swiffer/brooms?

SDgirlygirlNovember 4, 2013

My hubs and I are in the throes of a kitchen reno and it just occurred to me we don't have a place to store our brooms/sweeper. I'd love to hear your ideas! We are unfortunately limited in space so creative solutions are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne_sl

We had a 12" space left between the fridge and the wall that we tasked as a broom closet:

We did a tall cabinet over a two-drawer base. The advantage is that the brooms, etc. are right there. The disadvantage is that because the cabinet is narrow but deep, we needed to do a better job of organizing the stuff inside. Only the items at the front are easy to access.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:51AM
Annie Deighnaugh

We have a broom closet in the mudroom which is around the corner from the kitchen where the vacuum parts and the sweepers go.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:24AM
sherri1058

I have one broom/dustpan and swiffer hanging on the wall of a tiny coat closet at the edge of the kitchen (beside the back door). Everything else is in the basement.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 8:42AM
sjhockeyfan325

In our previous home, we had a small tall closet next to a pantry cabinet, a few steps from the main part of the kitchen. In our current condo, we will just hang them on the wall in the small room (6' long x 4-1/2' wide) that houses the stacked washer & dryer. We'll also have shelves in there for all the cleaning stuff (laundry, kitchen, floors, dustbuster, etc.)

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 11:44AM
bob_cville

We wanted a broom closet near our kitchen but the location where we wanted to put it, around the corner in the living room, would have looked odd if there was a door there. The solution I came up with was to build a custom bookcase door.
Of course part of the reason for doing this is just that having a hidden door/secret room seemed like a really cool idea.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:32PM
buehl

Don't forget to put an electrical outlet inside if you plan to keep anything that might require charging. Actually, even if you don't need it right now, I'd put one in anyway - you never know what you might need in the future!

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 10:44PM
dccurlygirl

Hey, Bob -- I love your hidden utility closet! Ingenious!! What is the width of your bookcase/door?

Bookmark   December 6, 2014 at 1:01PM
nhbaskets

2LittleFishies gave me the inspiration for our broom closet. It's located around the corner of our pantry and bar area.

This post was edited by nhbaskets on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 17:15

Bookmark   December 6, 2014 at 3:40PM
marcolo

Lots of people use pullouts, with the brooms hanging on a pegboard or something similar. It's a good use of a 3" or 6" filler. Unfortunately a lot of the relevant pics were on Ikeafans, which IKEA chose to destroy.

Bookmark   December 6, 2014 at 5:57PM
laughablemoments

We didn't have a spot for a broom closet in our last house. We ended up hanging our brooms, mop, etc, on the backside of the basement door. I found an over the door rack that had very small hooks that fit inside the hanging holes of the implements nicely.

There are broom hangers that grip the broom and mop handles that could be attached to a (solid) door, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mop and broom hangers at Amazon

Bookmark   December 6, 2014 at 10:02PM
practigal

You and suzannel both might want to look at the glideware product it might resolve the ease of use of a small closet problem

Bookmark   December 6, 2014 at 11:57PM
mrspete

I have a walk-in pantry /laundry room off my kitchen. In the 8" or so between the dryer and the wall, I have "hooks" that hold the broom, dust pan and more off the floor.

This is not ideal. The space isn't quite big enough, and I have to reach around the machines to get to my items.

Bookmark   December 7, 2014 at 8:42AM
dcward89

Our basement staircase is on the other side of the back wall of the kitchen. With no other storage spot, we put a couple of hook style organizers on the wall of the staircase and the broom, mop, Swiffer, aprons, lunch bags when not in use, extra grocery bags, anything that needs a space and can hang on a hook are hung there. It's not pretty but our basement is not finished so it's more like a service hallway. You can't see it from anywhere in the kitchen except when standing directly at the top of the staircase in front of the pantry. In this pic the pantry is in the back corner with the garage door and just out of sight to the left of the garage door is the stairs. Out of sight but easily accessible. It works for us.

Bookmark   December 7, 2014 at 9:03AM
beanpiele

Oh my gosh dcward89 just described to the tee the things I have hanging on the wall of our basement staircase which is also just off our kitchen... grocery bags- kids lunch boxes and all. So funny. Also not pretty over here, but as you said it works for us. I've been thinking of taking that project on to make it look nicer but it's low on the list I'm afraid.

Bookmark   December 7, 2014 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™