Trying to pick a rangetop and hood...

amandasplitNovember 24, 2012

Hi,

We are in the planning phase of our kitchen remodel and the black Friday weekend has kicked our appliance search into high gear. I'm so grateful for everything I have learned from this forum, I would love to hear some opinions on rangetops.

We don't want to overspend and it seems like the cheapest rangetop options are from Bertazzoni, and the next step up are Electrolux and Viking. I'm leaning toward Viking, because of the name, but maybe that is stupid? Would love input! Also need a wall mount hood to go with it (was looking at zephyr and best based on reviews from this forum.)

In case it matters, we just ordered the 30" Bosch 800 series double oven (we agonized between that and the Electrolux before deciding), Bosch ascenta DW, and KA fridge.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amandasplit

Shoot! Should have posted this in appliances, sorry!

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:33AM
badgergal

You will probably get lots of recommendations for cooktops on this kitchen forum as well as the appliance on. So I will chime in and tell you that I love my Dacor Renaisssance 36 in. five burner cooktop. Two of the burners are extra powerful and yet they can also hold things at a perfect simmer. I like the placement of the knobs and the fifth burner. The knobs also have a blue light on them when the burner is on. This is a great feature because when simmering the flame can't be seen which leads to sometimes leaving the burner turned on. Nice to have the light as a reminder. The cooktop also has a fairly deep well so if something spills over it doesn't end end up all over to counter too. The well area is a brushed stainless and easy to keep clean. Here is a picture of my cooktop

I have a Venta Hood vent and am enjoying how nice it is to have good ventalation compared to my over the range microwave/ vent combo.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 1:38AM
EngineerChic

We have a Bertazzoni range and I really like it. The safety features are annoying to some people (it shuts the gas off if it thinks the flame has died, so takes a couple extra seconds when you light it to hold the knob in as an override).

The top is made from one piece of steel, definitely look for no seams in the top if you (like me) see pasta water boil over now and then. And test out the grates on whatever you choose with the pot that has the smallest diameter bottom. Make sure it sits well and you have some margin of error in how you put it down.

The Bert fit our budget and requirements for no electronics and not made in China, and we have really liked it. I'm not a gourmet so I can't say it has made me the best chef ever, but I think I cook better on it than our old Amana (definitely bake better, it's amazing what an accurate oven can do, LOL).

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Showplace cabinets
Does anyone have any experience with Showplace cabinets?...
sdlacrow
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Sponsored Products
Madison Vesper Fog Swivel Lounge Chair
$2,570.00 | Horchow
Reverb Office Chair in Blue
$229.00 | LexMod
Wood Range Hood
CliqStudios Cabinets
Stonyridge 7" Wide ENERGY STAR Bronze Outdoor Wall Lantern
Lamps Plus
Geometric Kids Hooded Beach Towel
| Dot & Bo