Veteran Soapstone Owners: How often do you oil?

peony4November 14, 2013

Hello! My question seems like it would be regularly discussed here, but I searched this forum a few times and couldn't find anything definitive. Please let me know if I've missed the obvious.

In the meantime, we've had our Mariana Reserve soapstone for 3 months. After enjoying a few weeks of the lovely un-oiled look, we figured out our daily habits required that we oil the stone. We have used both mineral oil alone, and the combo beeswax/mineral oil. We've oiled an average of 2-3 times per month. This is not a time-consuming process--it takes me about 10 minutes in the evening to apply the oil, and about 5 minutes the next morning to wipe the excess. Not a significant maintenance issue in the grand scheme of cleaning my kitchen. However, I'm wondering at what point my soapstone counters will maintain more of the oil for a longer period of time? I daily wipe them down with a dishcloth squeezed of soapy water to remove the usual mess of a family, and realize this diminishes, over time, the oiling.

But if you've had your soapstone counters a while, how often do you oil them at this point?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

We've had our Mariana for about eight months now. In the beginning I was oiling like you are at 2-3 times per month, but for about the last couple months I've decided to go "natural", and have not oiled since. I'm actually liking the more natural state of the stone and like the way it looks as it has dried out. We'll see as time goes on which I really prefer, granted it does look more elegant when oiled, so maybe I will oil when expecting company, and let it go the rest of the time...

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 12:28AM
arlosmom

My santa rita soapstone has been installed for about 5 years now. When I do oil it, I use the oil/wax combo which lasts a lot longer for me. Last time I oiled was maybe a year ago. I was just looking at it this morning and thinking that it could use it again. The need to oil really slowed down after the first year or so, I think because it became oxidized.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 7:51AM
sombreuil_mongrel

I oiled once when I installed it, and then never again. In 9 months time it had darkened on its own, and I just clean it. Maybe because of the cleanser, or maybe because of the type of SS, but oil spatters from cooking are not in my reality, but I have seen them in pictures.
Casey

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 8:00AM
catbuilder

Once a year, before the annual holiday gathering. The area by the sink could probably use it twice a year, but it's really not that big of a difference. It's all dark now (5 years), but the oil/wax just makes it look richer.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 8:35AM
trailrunnerbiker

My Green Mt has been in 7 years. I oiled it one time right after it was installed and never again. My use of it as a baking counter has caused it to all darken naturally. I have never had a problem with spots of oil or water marks. I clean it with the dishcloth and dish soap or just plain water. c

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 9:23AM
64reno64

I tend to oil or wax more frequently, because it seems that even a little dishsoap takes the oil off immediately. Three messy kids so I am cleaning counters constantly. The just oiled look lasts for about 5 minutes until I have to clean the counter!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 8:50AM
remodelfla

I so enjoy the look of my SS in various states that I typically wax maybe once every three months or so. Usually before a LARGE party.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!
We moved into our new build about three weeks ago....
babs711
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™