black counter tops what color backsplash?

mtglobalOctober 8, 2012

In the midst of a kitchen and bathroom remodel. Very contemporary house with black absolute granite counters, white cabinets and hardwood floors in kitchen. I am thinking about doing black glass backsplash. Wondered if anyone has done this? opinions? I really want a clean look. Tons of light in the kitchen.

Also, what is the material that separates the counters from the backsplash? is it grout or caulk? can you do a black caulk so it is not noticed?

Thank you all so much! I can't figure out what to do here after making all the decisions I have already made thus far!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

It's so hard to really know without pictures. What style are your cabinets? If they are very contemporary I think a black glass backsplash could look great (I'm actually envisioning a glass mosaic with the long skinny tiles in a variety of colors (black, white, gray, etc.).

If your cabinets veer more toward traditional or transitional, I think I'd rather see something lighter that matches the cabinets.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:22AM
mom2sethc

Hello,

I don't have white cabs, but I do have AB counters. Here is my black backsplash. I know it is too dark for some, but we love it and I get tons of compliments on it. We also have a lot of natural light in our kitchen, and good UC lighting..

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:15AM
mtglobal

Wi-sailorgirl: cabinets are contemporary as is whole house. Thanks for post.

mom2sethc: backsplash looks great. Very creatively done. What are the black long tiles made from? Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 2:37PM
mom2sethc

Hi!

The black tile is Stonepeak Parkland Acadia, it is a rectified porcelain, 6 x 24. It makes you think of black suede! I love it!

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
How to view older (undamaged) Gardenweb threads in Google cache
I’m posting this to create a link to refer people...
mudhouse
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
Lighting 7 foot ceiling pantry
I am doing a bank of cabinets in my 9 foot by 7 foot...
katonahmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™