Rusteol cabinet renew kit - does it work?

mommabirdOctober 22, 2012

I saw the $60 Rusteolum cabinet renew kit at Lowes but does it work? My cabinets are solid cherry with natural finish. They are more than 39 years old and need to be deep cleaned but not bad enough to strip sand and refinish. If this kit works I think it's just what I need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ShedTheChrysalis

I have seen awesome testimonial pictures on their website but when we bought the kit, it was a pain to use. We had builder grade light oak cabs. We used the deglosser that the kit provides but it wouldn't take off the glossy exterior if our cabs. When I called customer service, they told me that the deglosser wouldn't remove everything, it was just supposed to dull the gloss but after hours of scrubbing - it still didn't. We ended up buying new cabs eventually so I never tried out the paint to see if it was durable. I did read that you can buy all of the products seperately and save money if you don't intend to put the glaze topcoat on. It's basically just paint stripper and paint with a few rags and such. I would do a little more research before commiting to it. Good luck though.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennymama123

I refinished my cabinets with the white kit last year. The finish held up for approximately 4 days and the cabinets are already yellowing from the topcoat. I'd go another route if I were you.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Need advice on Backsplash
I am a chef and caterer--I'm just finishing up a large...
avolab
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™