Toe kick heater?

ptylesOctober 15, 2010

Our demo started this week and we are down to purchasing the last few items. We are still researching toe kick heaters and wanted to get some advice from the board. Do you have one? What brand, and are you happy with the one you chose?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Turbonics. VERY happy with ours. Learned about it (and GW forums!) right here in Kitchen forum. Our plumber, who'd tried to dissuade us from getting them ("they're noisy" "you'll hate it" etc...) was impressed with these when he installed them. We have the Kickster (+3 or +4)--we had two installed; one on either side of our island.

If you call the company directly, they will help figure out which model you need (we wanted to end up with same BTU's we were going to lose by moving things around and taking down a wall in the kitchen).

They are quiet (you hear the air noise, but no "squirrel cage" squealing which apparently is common with most kick heaters) and can be hooked up to a switch or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turbonics

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 10:30PM
ptyles

Thank you Cat_Mom, do you know where you purchased yours? Btw, I've admired your kitchen many times and have shown it to my dh for inspiration. I believe we live near each other in NY.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:14PM
cat_mom

Thank you for the compliment! I'm glad you like our kitchen! :-)

We bought the Kicksters in Congers at AF Rockland Supply on Rte 9W. When we purchased them (late '06 or early '07), they were supposedly the largest distributor in our area.

Where are you located? I think I remember that you live nearby....

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:34PM
ptyles

Thanks for the info. My DH will try and head over there this week. We are in New City.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:44PM
cat_mom

You're welcome. We're near Suffern. Was in New City yesterday (in the rain, ugh!).

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 12:01AM
daisychain01

We have a toe kick heater, not sure what brand, but we love it. We have an period house with rad heating and it is wonderful to be able to turn on heat in one room and get instant warmth.

There was a lot of discussion of toekick heaters on this forum a few years ago. If I recall correctly, the concern was heaters connected to the hot water heating systems. I think the problem was with them not putting out heat properly, but can't remember exact issue. Ours is electric.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 9:56AM
jejvtr

pt
the most important consideration in getting replacement heat source to the area is a proper calculation of what is required. Many considerations taken into account to do this properly. Unfortunately, many just take a best guess estimate with this calculation.

Is the toe kick tying into the existing heat system or a stand alone electric type?

Here is a link that might be useful: heat loss calculation

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 10:08AM
sue36

What type of heating system do you have?

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 10:48AM
kaseki

I have two Turbonics 6/8 Toesters in my kitchen tied to my hydronic heating system. They are sufficient to heat the entire kitchen and former LR space, albeit slowly if one demands a large change in temperature. I know this because pending the last coat of floor finish, the LR is still missing its baseboard heaters.

This heating performance is in spite of the Toesters being operated at lower than low speed. Fan speed is deliberately turned down because I found that the fans would start "breathing" when the access panels in the floors of the cabinets were closed. (Turned down means using a motor controller in series with them and wiring them for low speed.) Although the 4-inch kick space meets the requirements of the heaters' drawings, I suspect that there is too much restriction above the fan for the fan to operate stably. I didn't care for the sound, even though it was subtle. Smaller units may not have this issue with this height.

kas

A motor controller or fan controller is like a lamp-dimming wall switch, except a CW action lowers the fan power rather than increasing it as in a lamp dimmer. They are also tolerant of inductive loads. Most electrical distributors should carry them.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Do I need drywall behind cabinets?
I am building a counter-height knee wall between my...
DIY2Much2Do
Sponsored Products
Belize Shag
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Embellishing Shag Rug in Beige and Brown (2'10 x 5')
Overstock.com
Antique White Faux Fur Throw Blanket
$19.99 | zulily
Woven Play Ottoman
| Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Shag-a-liscious Berry 5 ft. x
Home Depot
Quincy Super Shaggy Lime Green 2-piece Bath Rug Set
Overstock.com
POLYWOOD Dining Furniture Long Island White Adirondack 2-Piece Patio Seating
Home Depot
Off Balance´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Area
$255.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™