faucet to fit 3-hole AND 1-hole sink

kevinw1October 15, 2010

Our current faucet on our 3-hole sink is disintegrating and needs to be replaced ASAP. We're not quite ready to replace the sink and counter, but that will happen in the next year or so, and we're planning to use an IKEA Domsjo ceramic sink which has only one hole.

I want to find a faucet I can install now on the current 3 hole sink, then move to the 1 hole IKEA later on, rather than buying one now and another one later. I have seen a few but they seem to mostly be the ultra modern pillar style with a little twiddly lever on the side. I want a nice big lever on the top I can work with my elbow when I have messy hands, and which will work for right and handed and left handed members of the household. I'm not that worried about where the sprayer is, a pullout or a side spray would be fine.

Budget is not large - up to say $300 max but ideally less than that.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

Most one-hole faucets have a matching escutcheon (or cover plate) that either is included or can be purchased separately. I know both of my Kohler faucets do... Use the escutcheon now to cover the extra holes. When you switch sinks, simply don't use the escutcheon!

HTH!

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 2:46AM
kevinw1

Thanks buehl - it can be hard to tell from catalogs which do and which don't have an escutcheon. I suppose I could just by a one-hole, with or without escutcheon, and blank out the two extra holes - I think I have seen widgets for doing just that. It's only temporary, after all!

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 6:52PM
jakabedy

Keep in mind that if you go with the Domsjo in the future, that there is no hole for a side-spray -- if you opt for a side-spray it will have to go in a hole drilled in the countertop adjacent to the sink. So now may be the time to shop for a pull-out that you like.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 7:48PM
kevinw1

jakabedy, thanks for the reminder - you are right, of course.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:08AM
brickeyee

I have not installed a separate side spray for a customer in at east 10 years.

There are many pull out units available that use the faucet arm itself and a built in hose that retracts under the counter.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:39AM
kevinw1

Well, our faucet found us yesterday :)

We were at the building supply store buying flashing and foundation waterproofer and other necessary but not very exciting stuff, and at the checkout was a little flyer with "50% off closeout faucets". The display was tiny, there was only ONE kitchen faucet on it, everything else was bathroom faucets and shower fixtures. But it was our faucet, fitting every requirement, a Delta in brushed SS for $150 marked down from $350. Nothing fancy, but just what we wanted.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:44PM
buehl

Congratulations! Don't you just love it when that happens?

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Granite countertop color question
My wife and I just bought some granite countertops. In...
dsm1995gst
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™