mixed finishes on metals?

mjher1October 9, 2012

Originally, I had planned on having ORB finishes on my faucet, knobs and pulls and lighting. I chose Praa Sands as my counter and when I took in the sample, I was convinced that perhaps a nickel faucet looked better with the counter. I thought that would be ok, since my lights (already purchased) and pulls would still be ORB on dark cabinets. Now, I just got home from the cabinet guy and the pulls that I like the best don't come in ORB, but they do come in an antique pewter finish that I really like. I think that would look ok with the SS appliances and the nickel faucet, but now I am left with the ORB pendants. I can't return them because I bought them at a really good price - on sale. Would that look stupid? The ORB doesn't match either the faucet or the pulls. Because the cabinets are dark, would it be ok? OMG - so many choices and every one of them affects other ones.

I checked on houzz and the kitchens that have mixed finishes for the hardware, 2 of them match, either the pulls and lights, or the faucet and pulls.

Can I pull off 3 different finishes or should I keep looking for pulls in ORB?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phiwwy

Are you talking satin nickel or polished nickel? If polished, not sure I see that combo. If satin nickel, then it's not that far from antique pewter.

What are your doorknobs/hinges and other house hardware? If ORB then you're good to go.

I love these colonial bronze hardware, as I purchased knobs in a combo of 2 finishes (you can choose the 2 finishes from every available finish!). That's just a suggestion.

I'm not a huge fan of ORB hardware on dark cabinets personally. I think with your dark cabinets, ORB pendants would be great. I just would love to see some ORB on the periphery somewhere.

Can you post some pictures?

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 11:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjher1

Thanks for your input. I have no pictures because we are in the middle of de-construction (demo). I don't really have any visible doors. It's a pretty open space:living room, dining room, kitchen. The hinges on the cupboard doors will not be visible. The faucet is a brushed nickel.
I could put ORB for curtain rods or lamps in the other areas-that would work. As long as the light fixtures won't look ridiculous I think I'll get the pulls and knobs I really like.
Does anyone else have ideas?

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Marmoleum - Who has it, who loves it, and would you do it again?
I am narrowing down flooring choices for my small kitchen...
cluelessincolorado
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Alternatives to Rohl Modern Architecture Faucet?
My husband and I both really like the Rohl Modern Architecture...
K L
Sponsored Products
Vent-Bettina Ceiling Fan by Matthews Fans
$1,573.20 | Lumens
LBL Lighting | Omni Medium Covered Fluorescent Outdoor Wall Light
$732.00 | YLighting
Hydro Systems Sylvia 6642 Tub
Modern Bathroom
2nd Avenue Lighting Banana Leaf Two-Light Wall Sconce
$540.00 | LuxeDecor
Markamoderna | LAMI Perforated Stainless Steel Center Table
YLiving.com