Rough butcher block texture- help!

KjirstynOctober 3, 2012

We recently installed butcher block counters in our kitchen, which I have faithfully oiled according to the standard 3-4 weeks. From the very first the counters were not smooth feeling-- not rough, exactly, but definitely not smooth or silky, like I've felt other butcher counters be. I thought successive oilings would mellow it out but it only seems to be getting worse. Is there some kind of finish we can put on that isn't problematic around food? I'm flummoxed as to why ours is so different from every other butcher block I've ever met.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

I have a new cutting board that is like that. It's like the mineral oil raised the grain. Since it's just a cutting board, I'm going to lightly sand it and oil it again.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:04PM
2LittleFishies

I'd get a super fine sanding block and you can get them sooo smooth. Just re-oil. Can't imagine it would do anything wrong although I'm no wood expert. If there's no finish on them, sanding shouldn't be an issue.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:07PM
Kjirstyn

Fine sanding was the option we came up with but we weren't sure if that was the actual problem or not. Hope so!

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:22PM
CEFreeman

I would actually take the very finest sandpaper you can find, and lubricate it with the mineral oil or whatever you're using, and sand it in careful, light circles.

If you've ever done decoupage, it's like the final coat.

C.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 11:35PM
marti8a

I wanted to report back and tell you that I sanded my cutting board with 400 grit paper and reoiled. It is sooo much better. Still not smooth as silk, but without the burrs it had before. I think one more sanding and it will be smooth as silk.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Anyone have TCE4005 quartz counters (or any other carrara-lookalike)?
Hi there, I'm still in the process of trying to pick...
Melissa Silva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™