4' granite backsplash, glass subway tile, or both?

kfagan113October 22, 2011

We finally picked out our granite!!!! We are SO excited. We picked White Ice (lots of grey, black and beige specs, mostly white background). I think it'll be beautiful with our grey stained cabs. I am in favor of white glass subway tiles all the way to the counter, but DH wants the 4" granite backsplash with the tile on top of it. Does anyone have thoughts on this or feel strongly one way or another??? TIA!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

Here's a thread from last week on the granite strip backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on this

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 9:31PM
remodelfla

I much prefer no granite BS if you are doing glass tile.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 9:36PM
txsuszq

Skip the granite BS. Tile all the way!

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 9:44PM
buehl

Definitely no 4" granite backsplash! In most cases it will look "off" or "wrong".

A 4" backsplash like that is really for someone who plans no other backsplash finish other than paint.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 12:14AM
rrs626

I already have a granite B/S but want to put tile above it. I think it might be too difficult to remove. I would also like subway tile. Would be interested to see what you decided.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 1:06PM
ak0402

My preference is for the tile to meet the countertop, with no 4" strip of counter on the wall. For me, the only reason I would have a 4" strip of counter on the wall is if I were not going to have any other backsplash otherwise, and wanted to protect the wall from splatters, etc.

The reason why it used to be standard to have a 3-4" strip of countertop dates back to the formica days. Now that we have modern counter fabrication where a counter is cut precisely to meet the wall, with no gap, there isn't a practical reason to have the strip. But if you like the look (i.e. people like the vintagey mid-century appearance of the 4" strip), go for it.

In any case, I will list the reasons why I do not like a small strip of counter on the backsplash:

- you will spend a lot of effort designing a beautiful tile backsplash; why cut it short by 4".

- the additional horizontal line of the 4" strip will visually make the space between your counter and upper cabinets look smaller and more cramped

- the 4" backsplash creates a small "ledge" which collects dust. Oy, yet one more thing to clean.

- you will be charged for the material and installation for the 4" backsplash; money that you may have preferred to spend elsewhere.

This is all MHO. If you simply like the look, get what YOU want.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 10:49AM
bullielove

DOnt do the 4inch backsplash, I did not even get a choice they put in on and 5 years later i want to add glass subway tile and I cant remove that 4 inch slab from the rest of the granite. In my next kitchen I definately wont have it and I will have known better to tell them NO!!

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Horrible exsisting kitchen layout. Help.
I need help with a bad kitchen layout. Very narrow...
dogger10
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Ikea pantry options - what will work best?
I have a wall space between two french doors adjacent...
crcollins1_gw
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™