drawer height for warming drawer

shannonazOctober 24, 2012

I like to think that I am resourceful but I am having trouble with this very simple question! I have read specs galore and my brain is not figuring this out :) It seems pretty straight-forward: a 27" warming drawer goes in a 27" cabinet, a 30" warming drawer goes in a 30" cabinet. This is actually spelled out in some install instructions.

If I want a warming drawer in a drawer stack does it typically take up the space of a 9" drawer or a 12"? Or something else entirely? The KitchenAid I am looking at is 10 1/4 inches tall but the specs describe a 9" recessed height? So I am thinking the drawer stack would be 6,WD,12, right? What happens with the extra space if you have frameless cabs? I have read that it is really tough to make a warming drawer flush/inconspicuous with a custom panel...

Am I missing something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

Hopefully, parts of my experience will help. I have a 30" KA KEW105 WD under my ovens. My cabs are framed, though.

My custom drawer front measures just less than 11.5" tall. I think the specs asked for something slightly larger. Since my decision to swap a regular drawer for a WD came after the whole oven cab had been built, I think (but dont quote me as my memory about this is fuzzy) my cab maker modified it slightly shorter so he could use the drawer opening I already had there without charging me to modify the cab.

Here's a pic. We have since replaced the panel seen here and installed a shaker drawer front that matches the rest of the kitchen.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 1:03AM
shannonaz

That does help, thank you! What is the round cut-out for?

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:53PM
breezygirl

My cab maker hadn't ever paneled a WD before. He figured that I would want to work the control dial and see the light indicator from the outside with the drawer closed, but his tools wouldn't allow him to drill the larger control dial hole through the stile and panel as it was too thick. We thought it looked funny so we replaced it with a regular Shaker drawer front like the rest of the kitchen. Plus, I couldn't see the numbers on the dial with the drawer closed anyway so being able to turn the dial need was pointless. Now, we just open the drawer to use the dial. Because the indicator light is now covered, we have to be a bit careful to make sure we turn the drawer off when we're done. If its left on, we can't tell with the drawer closed. Hope that makes sense!

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 12:36AM
oldbat2be

Breezy, how do you like the WD at that height?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Where to sell zinc countertop??
Help! A dramatic error has resulted in my ownership...
halgreene
Sponsored Products
Jefferson Wooden Stool
Overstock.com
Chrome Three-Light Bath Fixture
$170.40 | Bellacor
Florence Style Loft Armchair Loveseat and Sofa Set Leather 3 Piece Set in Tan
$2,369.00 | LexMod
Crosley Cambridge Solid Pepper Granite Top Wine Island with Turned Feet - KF3100
$549.00 | Hayneedle
Homak Pro Series 8 Drawer Top Chest - BK02008410
$499.00 | Hayneedle
Virtu USA Cabinets Caroline 60.8 in. Double Vanity in Grey with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Cappuccino Hollow Core Flat Panel TV Stand
Overstock.com
Brushed Nickel Two-Light Fluorescent Sconce
$192.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™