Cost to install Thermador Columns

marthastooOctober 19, 2013

We bought Thermador refrigerator and freezer columns and my GC will not install them (although the contract states he will install all appliances). I made a few phone calls and the only person to get back to me wants $700 to install both ($350 per column). So my questions are:

1. Is this a reasonable fee?

2. Can I expect my GC to be amenable to deducting $700 from his total charge for my kitchen install?

The aforementioned man is an authorized Thermador installer and installs the diplays for a major kitchen and bath design center (name starts with an "F" and rhymes Perguson).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Typically, the cabinet installer installs the built in appliances and that's NOT included in the "appliance installation". Appliance installation is for non built ins. Like a free standing fridge that rolls into place, or a simple DW install that doesn't involve cabinet panels. Or sliding a range into place.

And yeah, that's about the going rate for a built in fridge install. And you DO have 2 of them.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:10PM
meek95

Our GC installed all of our appliances, including 2 Thermador columns with door panels. The install price you were quoted is about the going rate based on info I got from the appliance store.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:04PM
Trebruchet

If your GC's contract says he will install all appliances, he needs to do that or reimburse you for doing the job you paid him to do that he's not doing.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:35AM
GreenDesigns

Yes, it's a reasonable fee.

If the contract was signed without the appliances being selected yet, then I wouldn't expect the GC to absorb the fee for installing any built in appliances. It's a lot more complicated and takes much longer than standard consumer grade stuff that just gets plugged in and slid in place. Time is money. Not everyone has the skill set to do this. He was probably expecting standard consumer grade built in appliances.

If, on the other hand, y'all drew up the contract where the appliances and their specs were part of it, and now he sees that he doesn't have the skill to do the job, I'd want him to refund the amount out of the contract to cover the other labor to do the job. And, I'd also want to be taking a fine toothed comb to the project. If he's not comfortable having the skills to do the built in appliances, I'd want to know what else he wasn't really skilled enough to do but was able to BS his way past on the job.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
thoughts about Grabill and/ or Superior Woodcraft kitchen cabinets
Hi, everyone. Does anyone here have experience with...
katherine10583
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
Sponsored Products
ClosetMaid SuiteSymphony 48 in. Top Shelf - 8880
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Seaford Galvanized 8.50-Inch One Light Outdoor Wall Fixture
$69.99 | Bellacor
Monorail 150W Surface Mount Transformer with FJ Port
Lightology
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Antique Bronze Wall Lantern
$69.39 | Home Depot
Vessel Sink 18.75-inch Chrome Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com