Progress! We picked a tile and the vent hood is up

marti8aOctober 23, 2012

My camera pooped out on me before I could take a picture of the hood, so I'll post it later. Still have to have the cabinet guy put in the front of it anyway.

But here is the tile we picked. I was playing around with it today to see which direction looked best. The flash was on in the middle picture and it shows lighter and redder than it really is, but it also shows the color movement in the tile which I think will hide dirt.

It seems that so many people put wood floors in their kitchen and we considered that but were afraid of the wate issues, and we briefly considered a stained concrete floor but there is just too much damage from the previous tile. We didn't want a light tile and none of the medium colors looked good. We kept going back to wood or stained concrete and I think this look remarkably similar to stained concrete. It's a really good match with both the cabinets and adjacent wood floor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

I really like it - I think it's beautiful! And with the white appliances, wall trim and light counter top it will balance out. Your wall color will probably be lighter too - not too many people put a dark color on the kitchen walls.

boy, soon you'll be done with all of this - that should make you very, very happy! It'll be a wonderful kitchen and well worth all of the work, time, money and stress.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:46PM
localeater

The floor tile is really gorgeous. Are you going with square joint, have you thought about a running bond?
Can't wait to see the hood!
Congratulations on all the great progress, you must be so happy.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:10PM
secondhalf

I love that rich tile...nice choice.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:11PM
marti8a

Probably a square joint localeater. The tile seem to be made so they continue the pattern from one to the next.

Steph, I'm still thinking a blue-gray color for the walls, probably something a little bolder than on that back wall. That was a hodge podge of color to hide the gouges in the sheetrock, left behind from stripping the wallpaper. I never intended to wait this long to do something about it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:30PM
deedles

Ooo. It's pretty!

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:15PM
Poohpup

Oh my! That is a seriously beautiful tile!

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:30PM
legallin

Love it! What is it?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:39PM
motherof3sons

That tile is gorgeous! It will look great with the cabinets and counters (they look like mine!).

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:59PM
lazy_gardens

Did that back door ever get fixed?

I saw the demolition pictures, and you don't need a repeat of the moldy wood and cabinet destruction.

Those white fluffy molds, BTW, are not the "toxic mold" you have heard about. It was the common "dry rot" fungus.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 12:08PM
lavender_lass

That tile is really pretty...it almost looks like slate, in the pictures :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 1:01PM
Yvonne Albertyn_Brazil

Very nice! That's a rich looking tile.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 1:32PM
marti8a

The tile is Marazzi Tile, Imperial Rust color. Linked here

lazygardens, we did get the door fixed, and got all that mold/fungus out. I found out the same thing you did, so thank heavens it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still ruined all the wood so it had to be replaced though.

Here's our hood. Still waiting for the duct though. After getting pricing, dh decided to do that himself. Supposed to be cool this weekend but dh may have other plans. Bummer

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 2:17PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Beautiful tile, marti! Love the colors--now isn't DH happy to have new tile?

Oh, and I love the way the knotty pine on the range hood ties in with the cabinets. ;)

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 5:55PM
marti8a

LOL mama_goose. That piece of pine is just temporary until the cabinet maker builds us a front to match the cabinets. We just don't have the tools for that.

Yes, he is happy to have it picked, but would be happier still if it were set and finished. I haven't found anyone to lay it to my satisfaction yet, and am contemplating doing it myself. Dh is NOT on board with that.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™