Q about support under quartz counters (for overhang)

lori_inthenw_gwOctober 14, 2013

This is from the Caesarstone installation manual.

"Support is required on overhangs over 8" for 2cm thick slabs and 16" for 3cm slabs."

What kind of support is needed? Can it be visually unobtrusive? I hope so, I really don't want any corbels or anything like that. Our overhang will be 12" but we haven't decided on the thickness yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

I use 1" 18 gauge square tube steel painted black to support overhangs. It is very unobtrusive and much stronger than 1/4" flat stock.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:34PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Thanks, Trebruchet. How far out toward the edge does the tube steel go and how close together do you space it?

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 11:33PM
calumin

I used 3/8" x 2.5" flat metal bars that went down the full width of the countertop (including overhang), spaced every 24". The bars were routed into the plywood support (I used 2cm quartz) so that the countertop laid flat on top of the base.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 12:29AM
markb

lori,

Click on the link below. It will take you to the Federal Brace Website. They have lots of options for invisible counter support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Brace

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 12:03PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Thanks, Mark and Calumin. I don't want to pretend to tell the fabricators how to do their job, I just like to be informed about options before I'm asked to make decisions. That Federal Brace site is fun-- I could find all sorts of fun things there as well as what I was looking for!

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:25PM
gpraceman55

You might also want to check out Centerline Brackets. They are 1/2" thick, so they are far stiffer than the 1/4" ones that you typically see. Plus, their pricing seems more reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centerline Brackets

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 7:42PM
Trebruchet

"How far out toward the edge does the tube steel go and how close together do you space it?"

2" from the edge or so; 16" on center give or take.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:51PM
kaysd

Our island has an 18" overhang for seating on 3 sides. Our stone fabricators built a steel frame that supports the entire counter, instead of a plywood subtop.

Here is a link that might be useful: steel frame

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 1:43PM
gpraceman55

The steel frame seems like an over engineered solution. That's fine to do, but I'm sure that it wasn't cheap.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:12PM
calumin

If you can find a metal service shop in your area, they should stock steel bars and cut to order - that is probably the cheapest approach. I think I paid $45 for three 34" bars, cut from a single 10' strip.

From there, the GC should be able to deal with the rest.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:58PM
kaysd

IIRC, the steel frame was about $600. It might be over-engineered for a 12" overhang, but not for our 18" overhang with quartzite. With 2 little ones, we weren't taking any chances with a large stone overhang not being properly supported.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™