Gel staining cabinets what to with inside

maju785October 31, 2012

The information from these site have been anything but livesaver. I am finally taking the plunge and having my oak cabinet gel stained with general finishes java. However the question I have is what to do with inside of cabinet leva them same or stain them as well. It gets more complicated with glass insert which i am putting in some cabinets. What happens to the inside of those cabbies. I am putting in glass shelves in those as well.

Another question is any suggestion to retrofit insert for 8 inch lower cabinet which I can use for my 2 cabinet flanking my cooktop for oil etc which will free up some surface.

Please help me as my contractor is gonna ask me this question in few hours.

Thanks,

Maju

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angela12345

Personally, I would only stain the inside of the cabinet box on the ones with the glass inserts in the doors. I would probably go ahead and stain both inside and outside of the doors. No advice on the 8" retrofit, sorry !

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:12PM
maju785

But then the inside will be different with different cabinet, will that not be an issue w resale?

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:19PM
angela12345

I hope not. My UltraCraft cabinets came that way ... the interiors of the boxes are a light maple color with the exterior & the doors stained cherry. Except for the cabinet with glass which is cherry inside, outside, and doors. Also at our primary residence, our cabinets are painted white on exterior & doors, but wood on the interior.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:27PM
maju785

That makes me feel better. I read in some posts about a clear coat within cabinet, I was wonderinf that is just polyurthane. Also if someone has gel stain done by contractor how much they were charged

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:14AM
lmead11

I'm in the process of gel staining my cabinets right now! I'm doing them myself. I am not staining the insides of the cabinets. I don't think it looks weird at all. I'm not doing glass in any of them either though. I guess if I were you I'd probably want to gel stain the inside of the ones with glass but just leave the other ones. It seems like it would be so much work to stain the insides too!! Good luck! I'm half way done with mine, and it already looks so much better!!

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:26PM
ghostlyvision

I wouldn't gel stain the interiors (except the glass fronted ones), there just isn't any need to and you will double the amount of work and time to finish your project.

Post pics when you're done, lmeadl. :)

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:20PM
maju785

That sounds good, will do just thay. Any idea on the cost aspect of staining

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™