Exposed backsplash from replacing old range hood..

peeka73October 28, 2013

Hello all,

My kitchen is still decked out in 1968 fab appliances. The prior owner of the house left the original receipts.. so it was quite interesting finding out just how old the appliances are.. However, recently while cleaning my 1968 Swanson range hood I noticed the wires looked charred. I had an electrician come by and the sheathing literally came apart when he touched it. So.. it is time to get it replaced.

I have a replacement range hood, but it is about an inch shorter than the original hood. The old tiled backsplash looks to be tiled just to the bottom of the hood. Should I tile 1" of tiles under the hood or get it painted? Unfortunately, I have no extra funds now to retile the kitchen.. which will be a massive undertaking since everything is still in 1968.. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by peeka73 on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 19:12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

More than likely you won't see tha inch unless you stick your head under the hood. Just paint it a matching color and call it a day.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 6:58PM
LoPay

You could remove a section and replace it with a larger format but matching color tile, or a stripe to give it interest.

How much will be pulled out with the new vent? Can you keep the hood and get an new insert fitted? That hood is a dandy.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:00PM
peeka73

I guess I can see just how much space is left after it is removed and if there is any space available to even tile! :)

The new vent is 6" tall, the old is 7" (with the ornate trim, 8")

It is a very pretty hood, if not for the falling apart wiring, I had planned on holding onto it for longer. I don't think I can find new wiring for a unit this old?

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:08PM
Trebruchet

It's one thing to rewire a Tesla, but a range hood should be a piece of cake for a journeyman electrician. Keep it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:37PM
Elraes Miller

Replace the wiring. This should not be a problem. A new hood is going to require rewiring for a connection. Keep your timeless hood, I like it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:45PM
cawaps

It is a pretty fab hood; scalloped edged were all the rage in 1968.

I'd ask about getting it rewired before commiting to replacing it-maybe the electrician you talked to or an appliance repair place.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:54PM
enduring

I'm with the rewire camp :) Or have a new fan installed within the old hood.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 8:29PM
cookncarpenter

Sell that hood to me! if not, have it re wired, that is a classic beauty, or as others have said maybe you can find an insert to replace the guts...

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:01PM
peeka73

Just an update.. the electrician was able to rewire it! :D He snipped off the burned section and connected it the switch wiring. The rest of the wiring looks good, so no need to replace! :) Just want to thank everyone for their suggestion! It was very helpful. Thank you!

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 4:40PM
Fori is not pleased

Darn. I wanted that hood!

I'd like to see more of your time capsule. It looks to be in fabulous condition! I'm guessing this is NOT a "starter home". Looks like the good stuff.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:03PM
chinchette

Yes, this looks like a nice kitchen from what we can see. Could you show us more by any chance? : )

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:44PM
peeka73

Haha, sorry! I really do like this hood and am glad I am able to continue using it. The prior owners of this house took really good care of their home and kept everything in great condition. The home was built in 1940 and it seems all the upgrades for the kitchen was done in 1968. The other parts of the house were updated in the 80s (the bathrooms in glorious 80s style) and bay window in the 90s. :)

Here are some photos. Sorry if they didn't come out really good. The lighting in the kitchen isn't the greatest.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 6:45PM
peeka73

Hood and stove..

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 6:46PM
peeka73

And the double oven. It's a Frigidaire Custom Imperial.

(with the towels removed..)

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 6:48PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks!

It's cute! But how on earth did it stay so clean over the years? And those appliances! I know old appliances were sturdier, but not a ding nor dent on all that stainless is pretty amazing.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Tiny Galley Kitchen: Layout feedback needed
We've decided we're staying in our current house forever....
ant_farmer
Moen Arbor Motionsense faucet and other faucet decisions
Hi - I'm so lost in the world of kitchen faucets and...
hazelwags
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™