Kitchen Island Help!

rosemarynjOctober 24, 2013

We are redoing our kitchen by taking down two walls to make an open look into dining room and living room. I had done the kitchen 5 years ago with light maple cabinets. We are adding an island now and putting in new Casaerstone quartz top for counters and island top. My contractor says my cabinets are discontinued but he did find enough for the island. The top cabinets in my kitchen had rounded arch indents on top and bottom cabinets are rectangles. He sent me rounded arch cabinet doors for island. I told him I thought the cabinets in the island should match the bottom cabinets and be squared off. What do you think? I think it will look strange to see those arches on the bottom of island which will have counter ht. chairs around it. I suggested that he put in cherry wood cabinet as the island as it will go with my living room furniture which it opens to and then maybe he can get the squared off ones in cherry. Am I being unreasonable about the arch cabinets on the bottom? Do you think maple cabinets and cherry island will look OK? I have seen where they mix island woods with cabinets.Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

I've never seen arches on the lowers. You could get away with a different color island cabinets if you like it.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

When using arched doors in a kitchen, they are traditionally only on the uppers. Not the lowers.

Doesn't sound like you're dealing with someone who is actually skilled enough to be doing the job. I'd be double concerned with the amount of structural changes that you have planned. Did you get a structural engineer's report before this project began? Is it permitted? Inspected? Is the guy insured if your house collapses?

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Showplace cabinets
Does anyone have any experience with Showplace cabinets?...
sdlacrow
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Icing Spatula
$7.99 | zulily
"Lillian" Dining Table
$1,449.00 | Horchow
Dualit 27166 New Generation 2 Slice Classic Toaster - Cobble Gray - 27166
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WHKSDLV3-8104 Kitchen Prep Faucet & Side Spray
$599.00 | Blue Bath
Sample-Neve Winterscape Trapezoid Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar