Island ideas -

ne_flyingdiverOctober 2, 2012

We recently purchased a house. The cabinets on the island are damaged and I want to reconfigure the base anyhow adding 6-9 inches. The perimeter cabinets are in good condition, so I will keep them. Unfortunately, I did not take very good photos, but to give an idea of what I'm working with, attached are a few. I am looking for ideas for countertops, island, sink, faucet. Since the island will have to be different, I thought I would go with a fun/modern - initially thought of doing a red island.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ne_flyingdiver

another photo.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 5:30PM
localeater

Congratulations on your new home. Your cabinets are very cool, of course the slab door style is my favorite. I wish I could see your whole kitchen, I think I see a stainless backsplash- love it, I would love to see the crown molding I am assuming it is a 1" straight?
So I don't really see anything broken about the island, except it looks like a hinge on the sink base door, that is an easy fix. If you want to replace the island that is fine, but you may not have to.
I would love a red island, this is from my favorites folder.
Notice the moldings, which is what I think yours look like, the similar hardware and door style.

From Kitchen Planning

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:34PM
ne_flyingdiver

Thanks for looking. I do like that style. I have been looking at cabinet companies, but can't find any with modern finishes. Will i end up going custom? The island drawers are glued together - I'm guessing the fronts came off at some point & were glued back together. The back splash is ss - however marked w divots. The previous owner trashed the place.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:54PM
jakuvall

I have been looking at cabinet companies, but can't find any with modern finishes. Will i end up going custom?
Keep looking. You won't find it at box stores but there are a number of brands who do flat door in custom paint, or hi gloss, or modern foils, or veneers. Some modestly priced semi custom have some of those options, some better mfg custom have others. Two I am familiar with: Showplce has several straight grain veneer options and does any SW or BM paint. Saxton has foils. There are others.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:44PM
ne_flyingdiver

OOOOHHH, OOOHHH, OOOHH - Idea!!?? We are in the automotive repair business and deal quiet a bit with body repair. What if, I bought slab cabinets from some place like Barker cabinets and had our body guys paint them? I would imagine it would be similiar to thermfoil finish, but we would have endless options on colors. Has anyone ever seen cabinets painted with autobody paint? How about some Cadillac Pearl White island?

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Help! Removing stains on granite
I am hoping that somebody here can help with this because...
kellienoelle
Corner Drawers instead of Lazy Susan?
If you have them, do you like them? There are 2 corner...
beekeeperswife
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
Brickton's Finished Kitchen
We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved...
brickton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™