Where to send cabinet doors for a 'factory' quality paint finish?

joyce721October 21, 2012

We had completely custom cabinets crafted as part of our kitchen remodel one year ago. We had a good many difficulties with our cabinet maker and believe that the painting was done hastily because he was late. We were told that painting was done 'in the paint booth'. He used a pre-catalyzed lacquer color matched to Benjamin Moore Atrium White (not BM paint,however), formulated to California requirements. We were warned by our contractor and the cabinet maker that these formulation changes diminish resistance.

Well, the doors (and cabinets) under/around our sink have been spray repainted twice and the doors are peeling and chipping yet again. They are flush inset doors. There is some minimal water dripping around the edges of our farmhouse sink, but we are pretty good about monitoring for that.

In any event, the paint cracks follow the joints of the doors and the peeling always starts at a seam or joint. The latest painter who's attempting to fix this says that the doors weren't primed properly in any of the previous paintings.

This is not just ridiculous -- it's expensive to have these doors repainted 3 times a year.

I know about the restrictions on formulations in CA. So, I'm wondering if there are cabinet companies elsewhere where we can send our doors and a paint swatch for repainting -- and appropriate baking to make the finish more water resistant. That won't help failures on the cabinets themselves, but the doors are by far the worst.

Any ideas or recommendations out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

You are aware that to receive any type of warranty you will be better served to start over with new doors.

If you are near the LA basin, I could refer you to 3 professionals.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilymila

I moved to CA over a year ago and I notice that the hard water here causes more wear in kitchens and bathrooms than usual. I have been living in apartments with cheap cabinets for many years in other states and never notice this kind of wear like you get in CA. When we bought a 12 year old townhouse here, the cabinets all showed lots of water damage. Now I am getting new cabinets from Durasupreme and hopefully I can keep it looking new.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
Curava countertops?
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Curava...
katlynn719
Ordered my cabinets in rustic beech
What I am wondering is why all the kitchen magazines...
ryseryse_2004
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Sponsored Products
Preston Place Augustine Three Light Vanity
$131.00 | Bellacor
Retto Wall Sconce
Lightology
Serena & Lily Parker Play Table
Serena & Lily
Top Knobs Somerset Weston Pull - M832-96
$11.34 | Hayneedle
Cubi 11 Wall/Ceiling Light by Leucos Lighting
$186.75 | Lumens