Sealer left brown marks

piggyspenOctober 26, 2012

The picture is of my kitchen after the countertop was installed but before sealed. I have blue pearl granite and used AquaMix Penetrating Sealer. I asked the installer if I should seal and suggested sealing with any sealer every six months. So I sealed it.

When you get certain light, there are brown "stains" in the granite. I have used several things, including Acetone on the granite, but nothing seems to budge it. I have called my installer sevral times, but so far no luck on getting him back to help me with this. Any suggestions out there? I want this beautiful shine and clarity back!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

The first thing I would do would be to get to the sealer manufacturer. Do they have hotline? Next would be the vendor. I'm not even sure your type of granite even needs a sealer, by the way. My stone was sealed at installation 7 years ago. I found GW a year later and resealed. I used what you used and it took major elbow grease to remove the haze. However, there were no brown streaks, and I have no idea what would cause them. My stone is allegedly porous, but I just resealed it for the first time in 6 years. This time I did not use Aqua mix. Also, try the Stone Advice Forum. I'm on iPhone. Please excuse typos.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:41PM
weissman

Blue pearl generally doesn't need sealing. You should remove the sealer and see if the stain goes away.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:01PM
piggyspen

weissman, what would you suggest removing the sealer with? I have tried several things, Acetone being one of them. Didn't do it! That is what I am trying to find out -- what to use? I have even contacted the sealer maker but not heard from them yet.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:41PM
weissman

Acetone is what's usually recommended - are you using pure acetone (as opposed to nail polish remover :-). Checking with the sealer manufacturer is the right thing to do.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:46PM
GreenDesigns

Usually, the sealer that you used will dissolve the sealer that is still on the counters. So you can reapply the sealer and use a bunch of elbow grease to remove the re-emulsified sealer. Steel wool, scrubbing, actual acetone, and follow up with pure Dawn and hot water usually does the trick. Polish dry with some cotton towels like you would a fine automobile.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Tiny Galley Kitchen: Layout feedback needed
We've decided we're staying in our current house forever....
ant_farmer
kitchen cabinets
I'm thinking about buying Mouser cabinets. Has anyone...
lmpotter
Colored Wine Glasses Truly Dishwasher Safe
We are looking for some nice wine glasses that are...
curmudgeon10
Under cabinet mixer shelf
Does anyone have a built-in under cabinet mixer shelf...
ryseryse_2004
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™